Reply To: Accessibility while traveling

• Vir

January 11, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Hi Sonia, 

You have an interesting yet challenging topic. Being a polio survivor since my childhood and now aided by a mobile scooter for my declined physical mobility and advancing years, i could sincerely  related with the plight of the physically challenged populace. Like everybody else freedom, control is important for us PWDs. Wherever and whenever we can, we stretch the limits of our remaining strength to achieve that certain degree of independence (and tell our selves we still can, but in a different way now). That is where tools, gadgets, architectural structures and spaces play its important part for us to achieve this. Keep in mind these are all aids to the individual to function “nearly”close or almost like a “regular, healthy” individual. Therefore, all these must be designed/structured for their purpose to help/assist physically challenged individuals.  In simplistic terms, ramps and slides as default instead of steps or flight of stairs for anything elevated, grab bars, handle bars to hold on, ample spaces to move/turn around. All these are a no problem to an able-bodied individual, but not the reverse. Real inclusiveness takes into account all these to make it workable for all, more or less. but there is still so much ignorance or lack of knowledge on disabilities, worsened at times but the lack of empathy towards those who are afflicted.

Skip to content