Reply To: Accessibility while traveling

• maria

January 11, 2020 at 7:19 pm

Hello, 

I can speak from the viewpoint of a power wheelchair user. I think that the most important thing when searching for an accessible accommodation is information. What the accommodation offer when it claims wheelchair accessibility? Specific dimensions and photos are very important. Details like bed height, doors’ width etc. should be provided. 

Often also, a wheelchair user can use a room that is not a “special” one. If he/she knows for example, that he/she can enter the room without obstacles and has an approachable bathroom, he/she can be ok with that. So I think that detailed information are crucial.

Furthermore, being able to contact the accommodation by means other than phone is also important. E-mail communication for example is often easier for many people.

Finally, I don’t know if this is something that can be done, but it would be great if there could be “modifications” made when needed. For example different furniture alignment, equipment for renting available, separate beds for the disabled and his/her personal assistant etc.

Skip to content