Reply To: Accessible pizza bar in Fukuoka, Japan

• schroth-sensei

February 16, 2022 at 3:05 pm

Hello Lorenzo,

To start, I’m happy to see that you want to make your shop more accessible! I used to design buildings in the US and have had to design buildings with accessibility code requirements on many occasions. I find that the vast majority of the time the codes allow most people to access public places with little to no issues (I know from personal experience, being a wheelchair user myself). So, I would recommend checking out the design codes directly at the official website for the Americans with Disabilities Act found here:

https://www.ada.gov/2010ADAstandards_index.htm

Using this link you can find both a web version and PDF version, both are FREE and copies are encouraged! Better yet they even started to label dimensions in metric units alongside US imperial units, making it a bit more accessible.

There is a lot of information here and I recommend looking it over, but here’s a few particular parts that you may find useful (listed by section number):

• 304 Turning Space (a few nice diagrams of wheelchair sizes and planning for turning)
    • 306 Knee and Toe Clearance (can be very important, especially wheelchair access under bar spaces)
    • 308 Reach Ranges (great examples of reaching over tables from a wheelchair)
    • 404 Doors, Doorways, and Gates (too small isn’t accessible)
    • 405 Ramps (avoiding steep slopes)
    • 603 Toilet and Bathing Rooms (various accessible options)

As for your mention of the “rising” wheelchair, I have seen a few wheelchair brands that do sell power wheelchairs with this functionality. I cannot say how many wheelchair users buy them, but personally I’ve only ever seen one person actual using one. It is an added expense to an already expensive device, I imagine many are like me and don’t end up buying it because of cost. Also, it’s usually sold as a way for people with upper body strength to reach high cabinets, in some places this may not be covered at all by health insurance. So, I wouldn’t count on people using “rising” wheelchairs in the shop.

Other than that, I would just generally say don’t just locate a wheelchair accessible space in the back or out of the way somewhere. I personally prefer to have similar seats options as everyone else, or at least similar views (assuming your place has a nice window view or something). Plus I like to eat with friends (able-bodied or not), so a group of us can more easily fit with tables and chairs than booths and bar-stools.

Anyway, I hope that helps, and good luck with Panthea!

-Justin

Skip to content