Reply To: Vacation Disaster Preparation for People with Disabilities

• schroth-sensei

October 13, 2022 at 2:45 pm

I figured I’d be able to communicate with hotel staff enough to get by, but one trip did give me pause about disaster prep, for a bit anyway. In my trip (with my brother) in September 2008 to Japan we had a typhoon coming inland, I didn’t pay attention to it prior to my trip but mid trip we saw it mentioned on the local news that it was coming almost directly over us in Tokyo. The couple days before landfall were rainy, so we visited inside locations, but the night before I watched the news and figured the typhoon would sit over us (so stuck inside?), but at least we were in a hotel with plenty of restaurants (so we wouldn’t starve) and locations without windows (a bowling alley probably wouldn’t be too bad to wait out a storm if need be). We also lived in Florida for many years, so a typhoon like this (a Catagory-1 I believe) wasn’t super bad, nevertheless I had a general plan. Luckily though, while it slowly moved to us at first, the storm actually completely blew over us that night and left us with beautiful weather for the remainder of our trip!

As for Earthquakes, especially if you’re in a tall building, I’m not entirely sure what I would of done besides stay away from breakable windows/stuff and just wait it out. I’d be curious to know if you have a plan/advice?

Skip to content