Reply To: Osaka-Kyoto stay

• Joan Pahisa

August 13, 2019 at 6:33 pm

As Josh said, I remember it being around 10.000 yen per way. Aside from the JR pass, you should check getting an IC card for local trains, metro rides and buses all around Japan. In the Kansai area the IC card is called ICOCA. You can get it from any major JR station or airport at the Midori Madoguchi (the green ticket window). This card is rechargeable and it allows you to pay for rides without having to buy single tickets for each ride. It can even be used to pay at convenience stores, such as Seven Eleven. I used it in Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Tokyo, etc. for subways, buses, tramways, trains… Aside from long distance trains and some special transportation (e.g. rope-ways, boats), it works for most everything else. It works for JR lines and for other companies too. When leaving Japan, you can return the card and they’ll give you back the money that  it may have left as well as the 500 yen that it costs.

In the end, you pay the regular fare, so it’s more expensive than one-day passes (if you use lots of transportation everyday), but it eases the hassle of having to buy tickets all the time. Anyway, I thought that it’d be interesting for you to know. 

Skip to content