Reply To: What are some wheelchair accessible places to see the cherry blossoms in Kyoto?

• Joan Pahisa

March 22, 2022 at 10:16 pm

Hi Josh! I did most of my hanami in Osaka, but one day I also went to Kyoto with a friend. We went to Demachiyanagi station and walked the park next to Kamogawa river, which is full of cherry trees. There were ramps from the sidewalks to the walkways next to the river. As far as I remember, these walkways are really long, so it is quite wheelchair friendly. We had a picnic there.

I also remember going near Gion-Shijo station, there’s a canal parallel to Kamogawa river, according to Google it’s named Takase river. It was also lined with cherry trees and I specially remember the river full of cherry blossoms, as in a pink river (for a few meters). Anyway, it was an interesting view. The sidewalks were a bit narrower here, but feasible.

Finally, I also remember going to Arashiyama, next to another river. Also wheelchair accessible. I just looked it up and I think it was Arashiyama Park Nakanoshima Area. There were quite a lot of people having picnic, but we didn’t stay long as we were going to an onsen nearby (just in case, the onsen wasn’t accessible due to some steps).

Nevertheless, I can’t really tell if these spots are good spots or not. They were nice, but I’ve only been once in Japan during cherry blossom season, so I cannot really compare between places. Hope it helps!

Skip to content