Reply To: I’m physically disabled and want to live in Japan someday

  • Josh Grisdale

    August 17, 2022 at 3:37 pm

    You certainly can! I did it 15 years ago, but @zeng has much more recent experience.

    I’d say that getting a work visa may be the hardest part. I often suggest people try coming and meeting companies in person if possible (rather difficult now). Also, changing visa types is much easier than getting your initial visa, so coming to study at a Japanese language school on a student visa and looking for a job while here, companies are much more willing to sponsor you since you have proved you can live here and it is less paperwork.

    Once you have a visa to live here (student, work, spouse etc), you have the same rights as any other resident to get carers. This is done at the local level (city where you live). However, the whole process takes quite a bit of time, so you will likely need someone to come and stay with you until you are in the system.

    Hope this helps. Again, Jiahui has a much more recent experience.

Skip to content