Reply To: I’m physically disabled and want to live in Japan someday

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 18, 2022 at 12:01 pm

15 years ago it took me about 4-5 months I think. It will also depend on where you live. The bottle-necks are:

• Finding a place to live – you register through the city you live in, so you need to be an official resident of the city with an address first
    • Registration process – the paperwork likely doesn’t take too long and can be done almost right after you register with the city. The biggest bottle-neck is that you must be seen by a doctor on their list of doctors to be evaluated for your disability level, which then get sent back to the city so they can finish registration
    • Actually getting carers – once you are registered you can start to use companies that provide carers, but many (most, all?) are short staffed so you will need to find a few companies to help and filling the gaps in your schedule and training staff (all in Japanese) takes time

As for school age limits, you would need to ask directly. I would assume they don’t have age limits as they offer education to people who have been transferred here for work as well.

Skip to content