Reply To: Wheelchair accessible restaurants in Tokyo and Kyoto

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    October 11, 2022 at 9:55 am

Hi Lucy,

It might be easier to go the opposite direction – find some restaurants you are interested in (ie reviews or recommendations on other sites) and then check the accessibility. I can call or we can look for info online.

The universal easiest way to have a higher chance of accessibility is the top floor of department stores as they tend to be accessible. (Though some may add a pointless step for “style” 😒.). You’d be able to get nicer dishes like sushi and Kobe beef there. Also, depending on your budget, 4 and 5 star hotels often have sushi and teppanyaki restaurants that are great. You don’t need to be a hotel guest to eat there.

Ramen will be harder as most ramen shops tend to be small and cramped, but wheelchair accessible ones do exist…

I also suggest getting my friend’s app, WheeLog! (https://wheelog.com/en/). It is sort of a Google Maps for wheelchair users and you can see how people have rated buildings and restaurants.

Accessible Japan has also started working with Arigato Japan on some food tours. The ones listed on the Accessible Japan site can be adapted for wheelchair users – but be sure to clearly state your needs when booking. (Accessible Japan does get a small portion of tours purchased through those links on our site.)

Looking forward to helping you enjoy the tastes of Japan!

Skip to content