Reply To: Ni-Chome’s LGBT Bars/Nightclubs Accessibility

• Joan Pahisa

February 28, 2023 at 7:39 pm

Hi Carlos!

Thanks for sharing the video! I may check some of the places the next time I’m in Tokyo, as I barely explored the LGTBQ+ scene when I was in Japan and I’d really like to do so.

Anyway, as for elevators. I’d say that newer buildings usually have elevators and older ones, if they are more than 4-5 stories then they also usually do. Nevertheless, sometimes there are small steps at the entrance or in some corridors before accessing the elevators in older buildings.

Also, most bars in Japan don’t have much leeway to move around. That’s why I didn’t go to many izakaya (traditional bars), as you really had to know the place and be in the right spot not to feel in the middle of the way with your wheelchair. So, I’d say it’s a bit of a hit or miss if you haven’t been to the place beforehand.

Sorry, I don’t think I’ve helped you much. Maybe someone that has been in the area can be a bit more specific.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the video and, if you go in the end, let us know about your experience and how accessible it was.

Skip to content