Reply To: Wheelchair accessible apartments in Tokyo

• Don

June 29, 2023 at 1:47 am

It’s central Yokohama, not Tokyo, but we stayed at a monthly rental apartment in a so-called accessible room, the Apartment Bay (bayyokohama.jp) with a wheelchair recently. There are no barriers anywhere in the rooms or building, the bathroom is the usual Japanese wet room type and has grab rails. With my particular disability the main problem was there were no chairs I could use. I was advised to visit a second hand shop if I wanted a high-back chair with arms! It’s only i year old, above the Westin Hotel, well appointed (eg washing machine, oven, kitchen stuff). The reception staff speak good English and any length of stay above one month is possible. Situated in the high-rise Minatomurai district, it is surrounded by several department stores and shopping malls which provide all the step-free shops and restaurants you could possible need.. Yokohama JR/Keikyu station is about 15 mins walk away. The area is flat with wide level pavements, traffic light controlled crossings and easy wheelchair access to the seafront all the way to Chinatown.via Yamashita Park. .It is fairly expensive however.

Skip to content