Reply To: Wheelchair accessible apartments in Tokyo

• schroth-sensei

June 29, 2023 at 4:34 am

Hello Joal,

Do you have a work or school visa to stay beyond a 90-day holiday? If so, I would first recommend asking your future employer or school if they have any resources for finding an Apartment that would work with you. They may be able to get you in contact with a realtor.

Otherwise, if you are looking online and don’t want to pay hotel prices, your options may be limited due to the 5-month time period. I very recently looked into a 90-day stay for myself and found that many realtors I contacted only deal with a minimum 1-year contract (while very nice and responsive, Best-Estate was this way). For this reason I recommend emailing any company before searching too deep in their available listed apartments (even if they say “short-term” on the site this could mean 1-year). I also recommend searching as soon as you can if you’re planning this fall, it took me quite a bit of time to find a place.

Now, the company I ultimately am working with is Oak House, they aren’t specifically an accessible rental company but maybe you’ll get lucky and they’ll know of something that may work. Just to be clear: I don’t work for them, I haven’t stayed in the apartment yet (that’ll be August for me), so make sure you’re comfortable with the company before you agree to anything. However, I can attest to their customer service being very good, answering all my questions, and making it easy to sign up and pay. First thing I did here was immediately emailed them and got a response the next day (which has been typical, or sooner, for all messages) with an apartment option that was very accessible. I was honestly surprised and didn’t wait too long to submit my application. They seems to cater to foreigners as communication in English-only wasn’t a problem throughout the process. They also don’t require a Guarantor/Guarantee company or Guarantee fee, just a simple contract fee. All of which was very nice to see. I believe the complex I’ll be at is currently full (maybe it won’t be when you go), but you may want to inquire about what/when you’re looking for and maybe they have other accessible options, at the very least this may be a good place to start your search.

I hope this helps.

-Justin

Skip to content