Reply To: Wheelchair accessible apartments in Tokyo

• joalpete

July 31, 2023 at 8:04 am

Hello Schroth-sensei! Thank you very much for your response, and for pointing me in the direction of Oak House. I reached out to them and they did have a property that seemed accessible, but it would have meant a 2-hour commute every day for me.

Thank you also for your suggestion to reach out to my future company. They were able to locate an apartment complex that had rooms that, while not wheelchair accessible (e.g., they all had a step in the genkan), looked like I might be able to use them with some adaptation.

However, I just found out that any apartment complex in Japan can discriminate against anyone using a wheelchair in their complex (the given reason is damage to the floors). In addition, it appears that each room in this particular apartment complex is individually owned, so each individual owner can also discriminate against a wheelchair user. I will not know if I will be discriminated against by either or both of these parties until I submit my application. I must wait until closer to my arrival time to apply for available units, so this puts me in a difficult spot indeed!

If you have any other suggestions or ideas or have experienced this, I would love to hear from you!

Skip to content