Reply To: Motorized Wheelchair Help : ]

• schroth-sensei

August 11, 2023 at 11:58 am

Hello Hannahstreet,

I don’t know exactly where you’re coming from but I’ll assume somewhere in the US. Well, you are in luck as I literally JUST did almost the exact trip to Japan as you’ve described (I flew out on Aug. 2 to Japan). My flight was also Delta, non-stop from ATL => HND, and yes, even my wheelchair is a Permobil (F3)! I definitely recommend filling out Delta’s official Wheelchair handling information sheet ahead of time and printing it, found here:

https://www.delta.com/contactus/wheelchair

I would also attach some pictures, I created a second page and laminated it to the back of the information page. I don’t believe a Japanese translation will be necessary, nevertheless if you want to be thorough it shouldn’t hurt to have both.

You’re probably aware, but you’ll take off all the removable parts and bring them on board before the chair is stowed. We (with my caregiver) did take an extra step and detached the joystick from the arm rest (bolts only, not the cord) and put it in a hard-foam cushion we made, this was then tied to the back, tucked away from potential damage. The last part could be extra cautious, but I didn’t want to take a chance. Nonetheless, the chair made it with no damage, and I’ve been happily rolling around Japan for more than a week now!

I also have good news about your charger situation. I actually brought 2-chargers, my regular charger was in my checked-in baggage, and a smaller travel-size/emergency charger was in my carry-on (in case my baggage was lost). Both made it through without an issue, and I didn’t even have to take the charger out of my carry-on for them to scan it, so you shouldn’t have a problem at the airport with that.

As for outlets, Japan uses outlets like the US except 2-prong-only, both of my chargers are 2-prong (I have a feeling yours will be too). I have recharged over night twice now in Japan, no problems, just like home. If your charger is 3-prong, then you’ll need a converter or contact your wheelchair supplier and see if you can get one with 2-prongs (I’d recommend the latter just out of extra caution).

Getting around is easy too! I recommend a Japanese Rail pass (bought ahead of time), or a Suica card instead of buying train tickets. At each station you’ll find attendants that can help you get to your train, and have a small ramp for getting in the train AND someone waiting at the exit station with one. It’s wonderfully easy and enjoyable to travel here.

If you haven’t, check out TabiFolks’ sister site, go here for more info: https://www.accessible-japan.com/wheelchair-accessible-trains-and-subways-in-japan/

If you want to know more just ask, otherwise I hope that helps,

-Justin

Skip to content