Reply To: Shinkansen Green Car Question

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    November 17, 2023 at 12:45 pm

Sounds like an exciting trip! Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want!

I actually used the Green Car for the first time a few months ago when I went to Karuizawa. There was wheelchair seating in the regular reserved area and the Green Car as well.

The thing is, there is no one “Shinkansen”. Even though it is Japan Rail, the company was broken up into several regional companies, so the train lines are different. On top of that there are different types of Shinkansen trains running on each line. So, I guess I’m trying to say there is no easy answer 😛

You can look up the train you want to take (ie the train running from Tokyo to Osaka at 11:56 is a … model) and then look at the seating map for that model and it will show where accessible seating is, where the Green Car is etc…

So, it is very likely possible to use the Green Car.

Unfortunately, not all models will have an accessible Green Car seat and the local green cars (private seat on a double-decker train carriage) don’t have accessible seating.

If you are paying cash for each ride on a case by case basis, go for it! If you are planning on using the JR Pass, it gets a bit tricky since you may pay for the extra cost of the Green Car version but not be able to use it on some lines…

But, if you check out all the routes/models in advance you could see if it might be worth it.

Also, if you can fold your wheelchair, you could put it in the deck without complaint I thing since they do that with baby strollers etc.

Hope this helps!

Skip to content