Reply To: Best way to get from a Shinjuku Hotel to Yokohama port for Cruise

• schroth-sensei

January 17, 2024 at 3:59 am

Usually you purchase the ticket yourself at a ticket machine located just outside the turnstiles. They typically have touch screens with an English Language button (or multiple Language) and give some guidance in purchasing a ticket. You will need to know where you’re going and pay the fare (Yen) price to that location (if the machine doesn’t tell you the cost to the location, then a train map usually above the machines with show fare price from your current station, map apps can be useful for this too). After everyone in your group has a ticket, then you can talk with the attendant and let them know where you’re going and that you need a “slope” (i.e. help from an attendant with a ramp). They will ask you to wait by usually pointing to an area after the turnstiles, so feed your ticket through the machine into the front, and pick it up at the back of the machine, you need it at the final station. When you get to your final stop, feed the ticket in the machine and exit, you won’t get your ticket back. In some stations there may not be a turnstile for wheelchairs, in these uncommon instances you’ll typically go to a pass-through room beside the turnstiles where the attendant(s) are waiting, they will stamp and/or take your tickets there. [Note: probably not something you’ll have to worry about for your short stay, but if you or anyone reading this wants to buy a Limited, Express, Excursion, or Shinkansen (bullet train) ticket, then you would have to buy them at a major station ticketing center.]

Here’s a video I found that shows the regular ticket process that may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvS7eMz8o8

As an alternative you can also get temporary IC cards (1 for each person) such as the Welcome Suica and Pasmo Passport in my attached picture. Currently they do not have a fee, you just charge them with 1500-yen each I believe, which you can use for fare. The ones mentioned expire after 28-days and won’t refund any remaining money on them, but they can be used in many places like convenience stores, shops, and even many vending machines (which is a good way to empty one). If you do go this route, I recommend asking about them at the airport so you’ll be set up immediately (you can currently only get it at select places like Haneda or major train stations). With IC cards in hand you don’t have to know the specific amount of fare, and at the turnstile you simply touch the card to the reader to go through, and again at the exit where your fare is calculated and deducted. If you’re short on fare, look for a pink machine that says “recharge” and you can put more money (Yen) on it.

Here’s a video from Suica (this was before the Welcome Suica version when there was a deposit, but it shows how to use it very well): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSPISZ8X6kY&t=137s

I hope that helps,
    -Justin

Skip to content