Reply To: Disabled Driver License in Japan

  • Josh Grisdale

    February 5, 2024 at 8:18 pm


    While I’m not sure about transfering a lisence, you can drive a car with just hand controls in Japan.

    I asked a friend who does, and they got their license from Azuma training school in Niiza, Saitama where they have a hand-controlled car you can take the test on. It was a long time ago, so there may be other places now.

    They suggest you call Azuma and first confirm there aren’t any places closer to you (again, since they got their license a long time ago, there may be new places now). 

    If there aren’t new places, ask them to send you the brochures, requirements etc before you go to make sure everything is inline (you will need a Japanese disability certificate).

    After getting/transferring your license, there is apparently funding you can apply for to make the adaptations to a car.

    Hope this helps!

Skip to content