Reply To: Miyako Public Transportation Accessibility

• CPN Heather

February 13, 2024 at 11:17 am

Kathie,

Japan cruise expert here. Miyako is a city with a population of 50,000 that rarely has cruise ships call there. You would need someone in Japan that speaks Japanese to reserve an accessible taxi for you way in advance. Have you *confirmed* that you can get on the boat tour after you get there? Cruise lines outsource shore excursions to third parties, so I would be nervous that they would not let you do it when the day came.

I would recommend that instead of trying to piggyback on the ship’s shorex that you work with someone that can book appropriate transportation and guide you to places that are accessible. Otherwise, I fear you will end up frustrated and disappointed. Japan does not have anything like the ADA, so I would not expect public transport in places like this to be accessible. Even if it did, it would likely run infrequently and not be practical with your limited time in port. I don’t want to discourage you, but I do want to be candid to help you manage your expectations. Let me know if you need further assistance, and I wish you the best!

Skip to content