Reply To: Wheelchair or Scooter Advice

• gimom07

March 20, 2024 at 10:41 am

Hi Justin – thanks so much for taking the time to give such a detailed reply!!

As far as which one to buy, I will do my homework about it. I am just trying to find one that will work in Japan – that is small and light enough, that is not much wider than an average person, and folds small enough to take on shinkansen and cabs.

I was wondering about scooters, that does make sense, they would be harder – thank you! I will stick with a wheelchair, either electric or manual. If it is electric, an electric one that does have manual mode so that I can be pushed, like you said. That’s something I had been thinking about, too.

May I ask what kind of wheelchair you used (or use) in Tokyo? Not that I’m going to run out and buy it, I am just curious. I am NOT asking medical advice, let me make that clear!!

As for benefits of renting — Even if I don’t pack a wheelchair, I still need one. I can’t walk around the airport. Maybe 100-200 feet. That’s why my family are coming with me, 3 of them handle the luggage while 1 pushes me around (unless I get an electric). Then use a luggage forwarding service. Anyway, so for me there is no “just dealing with luggage.” Are there any other benefits to renting you can think of? I’ve read some people say that it’s best to rent. Someone here said something about a battery, which I need to read again and investigate.

Thanks for sharing the link to the rental form!

Thank you for clearing it up about the disability form. I read someone’s blog post talking about it, and I started panicking thinking that I needed it to be allowed anywhere. So it’s just a local thing, got it!! I am not trying to get any discounts. I just want to be able to get in reasonable places, not anywhere crazy like a basement restaurant or tiny little shops that can fit like 5 people or whatever, haha.

I appreciate your reply so much, thank you!

Skip to content