Reply To: Accessibility Nara and Nagasaki

• Joan Pahisa

November 26, 2018 at 11:39 am

Hi Daan!

I don’t know about Nagasaki, but I’ve been to Nara. I went there from Osaka Namba station using the Kintetsu line, which is accessible. I guess that the JR line would also be accessible. From the station to the park, there are some steep slopes as you have to cross one or two underground passages that go under main streets. Nevertheless, they are accessible and I think that they are feasible on a power wheelchair. Around the city of Nara there are also some steep slopes, but doing detours you can find other ways.

As for the park, the deers are everywhere. Once you start approaching it from the station (all the way is mildly uphill), there are lots of them. You can make many of it with the wheelchair. There are paths among the park, some are dirt paths, some are made from cobblestone, which get a little bumpy, and some are completely fine. If you’re worried about seeing deer, don’t worry, you’ll see plenty. On April they were there until 5pm.

If you want to see the main temple with the big Buddha, it’s also accessible from a side entrance. The only problem is that to get the tickets there are stairs. If you travel alone, you’ll have to ask someone for help. Also, you won’t be able to see the outside of the temple from the front, though you will have already seen the door leading to it. The way is on the side and it gets you directly inside of the temple. Nevertheless, if you are there, it’s still nice.

If you have any other questions, I’ll answer them if I can : )

All the best!

Joan

Skip to content