Reply To: Looking for info on work & living in Japan for a disabled person.

• schroth-sensei

July 21, 2019 at 3:38 am

Hello Josh,

Thank you for your quick and detailed response! I will gladly post a bit about my experiences and planning for my Japan vacations (I’ll start another post for that).

I figured that meeting employers face to face would be best in finding employment, and hearing from you that it “can help a lot,” makes my decision to go in person to job hunt a little be easier.

Also, thank you for the Process listed out, and timetable included on a individual items. This is what I was hoping for.

You mentioned that students may be able to get support? In the past I considered taking some College courses in Japan, but couldn’t find any information on healthcare assistance for students. I don’t know if I’d proceed down that road now (although a degree in Eastern Studies involving Japanese Mythology and Legends would be fascinating), nevertheless, do you imply that College students studying abroad can receive similar help?

As for your question, yes the goal is to teach the English Language, possibly as an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) or even in a 1 on 1 situation. Particularly, something that allows me to make a sustainable living. I chose teaching because it can be rewarding seeing students light up when learning something new, and that it is a job that will work with my limited strength (due to my disability). Also, my Degree is a Bachelor of Science in Exceptional Student Education, I chose this particular degree because I didn’t want to limit who I could teach (e.g. Students: Gifted, with Physical/Learning Disabilities, Language Learners, etc.). I’m not opposed to other work, however I worry that my limited Japanese Language Ability would make that difficult (at least until I improve my Ability, which is my intention while living there).

Anyway, thank you again for your quick response, and I am so happy to find this website, it is a great boon for anyone living with a disability who wishes to visit Japan!

Thank you for your time,

Justin Schroth

Skip to content