Hotels in Japan with soft mattresses

• Hotels in Japan with soft mattresses

Posted by Melanie on December 27, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Hi everyone!

If you are pressure sensitive and need a soft and comfortable mattress you might have a hard time in Japan. Traditionally the mattresses in Japan are hard (and by hard I mean very hard). Throughout my travels across Japan, I found some hotels with comfortably soft beds.

• APA Akihabara in Tokyo
      All rooms are equipped with a  ‘Cloud Fit’ mattress. APA beds are heavenly comfortable. Feels a bit like American hotel beds. There is one wheelchair-accessible room (with bathtub).All APA Hotels are equipped with the ‘Cloud Fit’ mattress.
    • REMM Akihabara in Tokyo
      The REMM hotel beds are soft and comfortable. They also have a great pillow menu. We stayed in a regular twin room. In Kagoshima, we stayed at the REMM as well. There is one wheelchair-accessible room (with bathtub).All REMM Hotels are equipped with the same beds.

Now here are three hotels that were disappointing regarding bed comfort:

Hilton Tokyo in Shinjuku: Hard mattress

Hyatt Tokyo in Shinjuku: Hard mattress

Akihabara Washington Hotel:
    Extremely hard mattress. I had to sleep on a layer of 9 (!) blankets to sleep without being in constant pain.

Please comment if you know of any other hotels (hotel chains) with soft beds!

Melanie replied 4 years, 9 months ago 7 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

December 28, 2018 at 8:19 am

Thank you for the fantastic information!  Yes, mattresses tend to be hard here and often hurt my back more than give a good rest!

Please keep sharing!

• astrogrrl

January 5, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for the information.  I’ll be coming to Japan in March and really struggle on hard matresses.  Does anyone else have any suggestions on places with soft mattresses.

Also of the places listed can anyone let me know what height the beds are?

• Accessible Japan

January 5, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Hi,

Hopefully @melanie_lmt can share about the height, but yes hard beds are very common here.  There was a thread on Trip Advisor about this and one suggestion was The Prince Group hotels.  They are a chain and I’m pretty sure they all have an accessible room.

As for the ones @melanie_lmt mentioned, both are chain hotels so I assume they have the same mattresses at all locations.  Here are the websites:

I’ll ask on Twitter and Facebook as well. 🙂

• Accessible Japan

January 5, 2019 at 5:19 pm

Also, you may want to bring a travel yoga mat (https://amzn.to/2RvYAjC) with you?  Not sure if it would help, but it may!

• Vera

January 5, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Hi,

I have been in Japan in October and had good experiences in the hotels of the Sotetsu Fresa Inn chain.

They have comfortable beds, wheel inn showers and reasonable prices.

I have been in: Sotetsu Fresa Inn Kyoto ShijoKarasuma ([email protected]) and Sotetsu Fresa Inn Ochanomizu Jimbocho ([email protected])

Regards Vera

• Accessible Japan

January 5, 2019 at 8:24 pm

A Facebook user suggested:

MyStays, Mets, Daiwa Roynet, Tokyu Stay are okay. APA also. Sotetsu Fresa as well.

• Melanie

January 5, 2019 at 11:41 pm

@accessiblejapan: I’ve stayed at several MyStays Hotels and for me – as a full time power chair user who can neither walk nor move (ie change my position) -the mattresses were too hard there. So I wouldn’t recommend the MyStays Chain.

• Melanie

January 6, 2019 at 12:21 am
    • @astrogrrl: The beds were pretty low. Unfortunately I don’t know the exact bed heights.
  • Accessible Japan

January 7, 2019 at 4:50 pm

A friend from Inside Japan Tours says that:

The Gate Hotel Kaminarimon have Simmons mattresses, as do the deluxe rooms at the Keio Plaza Hotel, also theTokyo station hotel and Mercure Tokyo Ginza too.

Simmons mattresses generally are softer than others.

• TabiFolk

Organizer
    January 10, 2019 at 9:42 am

Actually, Simply Emma (famous blogger) just mentioned this in her blog post!

She suggested a self-inflating camping mat.

You can read her article here as well: https://www.simplyemma.co.uk/5-things-i-do-differently-living-with-muscular-dystrophy/

Page 1 of 2

Skip to content