Where to hire a caregiver in Japan?

• Where to hire a caregiver in Japan?

Posted by dandelionchild on July 25, 2018 at 10:41 pm

My parents are attending a wedding in Karuizawa, Japan and my father is a disabled senior and cannot fly a caregiver from our home country. He needs help getting in the shower. The problem is, the hotel they booked is the shower-in-tub type (Prince Hotel Karuizawa) so there’s more “climbing into the tub” involved – difficult for someone like him. The bathroom’s size is reasonable but the area outside the tub doesn’t seem to be a shower area. My mom isn’t physically strong enough to help my dad either.

Is there a service in Japan where you can hire a caregiver that can work for only a few hours a day, mostly to help with the bath and getting dressed, particularly in a place like Karuizawa?

TabiFolk replied 5 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • wilgo

July 26, 2018 at 12:17 am

Hi,

I’m not sure if I could arrange some help you for your parents, but please provide me with some additional information.

(1) Have you requested Prince Hotel Karuizawa to arrange a caregiver for your father?
    (2) When will your parents get in Karuizawa?
    (3) Does he need English speaking caregiver?
    (4) Who is a coordinator of wedding?  Can he/she help your parents?

I’m managing a wheelchair taxi service in Tokyo.  I might be able to find some information for you.

Best regards,

Wilgo/ Jun Sumii

• Accessible Japan

July 26, 2018 at 9:44 am

Hi @dandelionchild

I actually know of one – possibly the only one: Tabi Support.  I know the director, Ms Kubota, from being on TV together and she is really nice. Tell her Josh from Accessible Japan recommended them.

The only problem is language.  They want to help foreign visitors as well, so they are very likely willing to try, but have no English speaking staff.  Perhaps the wedding coordinator, hotel or @wilgo can help with translation?

There is an email listed on this page: http://www.tabisupport.org/toiawase/index.html

(If Wilgo helps with translation, please be sure to use their excellent taxi service!)

Hope this helps

• wilgo

July 27, 2018 at 11:31 pm

I had a chance to talk with Ms. Kubota, and asked if she could introduce someone available in Karuizawa.  Unfortunately, there is no candidate speaking English on her caregivers list.

She also advised me that some caregiver services are available in that area, but language matter is still an issue.

This info doesn’t sound helpful.  Sorry…

• dandelionchild

July 31, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Thanks so much for the information!

I have contacted the hotel and unfortunately they do not have disability-friendly bathrooms and can’t help much with sourcing caregivers. I had the opportunity to talk to a doctor in Tokyo but she mentioned the same concern, that there are no English speaking cargivers in Karuizawa. I will be contacting the wedding coordinator shortly.

Thanks for providing links on Tabi support and Wigo. I will be contacting either companies because my parents might also need assistance with transportation within Tokyo. Coming from a quiet suburb, I would assume the population density of Tokyo might come as a shock for them. 🙂

• Accessible Japan

July 31, 2018 at 1:59 pm

That is too bad.

Care givers almost never work on a for-cash system, you get care givers through the national health care system.  So, there are no real “freelance” care givers except Tabi Support…

Please do use Wilgo, they are the kindest company I have ever dealt with.

Keep us informed as to what happens – maybe you will find something new that can help someone else later!

• Hazuki

August 2, 2018 at 8:19 pm

Hello, dandelionchild.

I am Hazuki, who is a nurse in Japan.

I might be able to find some Filipino caregivers who can speak English in Japan.

I am not sure, though.

Please give me more details about your father and itinerary.

I do not put my e-mail address here.

You can message me on Facebook.

My name is Hazuki Tochino.

I was hoping that you would find me.

• TabiFolk

Organizer
    August 2, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Also, if you add each other as friends, you can send private messages on the website.

Here is how to do that: https://www.tabifolk.com/atf-admin/following-users-and-adding-friends/

• Hazuki

August 2, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Thank you so much,  Admin.

I am asking some companies being able to send caregivers, who can speak English, to the hospitals if they could send some caregivers to Karuizawa,

I am not sure they can send the caregiver to Karuizawa because I asked them personally. I am not a owner of the hospital.

I am trying, so please wait for their reply.

If you need other information, let me know. I could help you, or  would try, anyways.

• Accessible Japan

August 3, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Thank you so much for your efforts Hazuki!  Maybe you could start a caregiver business for foreign visitors!

• Hazuki

August 3, 2018 at 7:05 pm

Her, I found one place you might be able to contact.

Give me some info that how many days you are here, how old your father is and the others as well ASAP.

Oh, and when are you coming?

Oh,

Page 1 of 2

Skip to content