Reply To: US Trains

• schroth-sensei

April 20, 2022 at 2:52 am

Due to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), all public transport should be wheelchair accessible, and in my own experience I’ve seen all modern public local and long-distance buses equipped with lifts (if you count my experiences in school, then I’d have to say I have significant experience as a bus rider who uses an motorized wheelchair as well).

Local Buses

The majority of cities have their own mass-transit bus systems and most should be accessible, cost is usually relatively cheap as it is intended to serve those who cannot afford a car as well as the general public. Just know before/after-work rush-hour can be packed, so it may be best not to ride during these times if avoidable. Don’t be late showing up to a bus stop, it is probably best to be as visible as possible to the driver and get their attention immediately that you want to ride (confirm it’s your bus, then they’ll probably load you first), that being said expect the bus to be late (it may be a few minutes, it may be much longer). If you’re a night owl, find out the bus schedule in advance so you don’t miss the last bus, while I generally don’t recommend being out when it’s dark for safety reasons, you still don’t want to miss the last bus and have to find other ways back to your hotel at night.

Long-Distance Buses

Probably the most extensive long-distance bus company, Greyhound (link to their customers with disabilities page here: https://www.greyhound.com/en/help-and-info/travel-info/customers-with-disabilities), does fall under ADA laws, and so they are accessible. I haven’t been on a Greyhound in ages, nor for a long trip, from my experience they were about average for a bus ride (not the smoothest ride, but it had working air conditioning). I can’t give a personal account of long-trips, from what I’ve heard they can be from uneventful to uncomfortable (luckily you shouldn’t need to get out of your wheelchair, but it still could be bumpy). Probably best to keep expectations low in my opinion. I don’t know if these buses have accessible toilets either, so I wouldn’t count on that.

Lastly, if you do use the buses, be safe and don’t leave bags, backpacks, tickets, etc. unattended on the bus as it usually isn’t the bus drivers/companies responsibility if it is missing or stolen.

I hope that helps,

-Justin

Note: I am not affiliated with any of the
    above mentioned companies and/or websites. Please use your own judgment
    when purchasing any goods/services with any company, it is highly
    recommended to check reliability/honesty of such companies via the
    Better Business Bureau and other reviewing establishments prior to
    conducting any business.

Skip to content