Reply To: Accessible airport transportation options in the United States

• Mark

May 2, 2019 at 5:55 pm

I can speak to several airports in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Washington D.C., California, and Florida. Generally speaking, airports provide one (or more) of three accessible transit options in the United States: 1) Trains; 2) Taxis; and/or 3) Buses. In Philadelphia, for instance, all of these options are available. Trains generally have reserved seats for passengers in motorized/manual wheelchairs and luggage can be stored in the open space next to passengers. Accessible taxis boast ample trunk room and are a convenient but pricier option for many persons with disabilities. Buses are the mid-ground in terms of price. They usually feature storage space behind/above wheelchair accessible seating.

Buses and trains generally have slopes for entry. Drivers are instructed to assist passengers in boarding. Taxis have either manual or automatic ramps that can be triggered for passenger convenience. Depending on the city, there are also additional transport options like UberWAV. Really, the option you choose depends on a number of factors: price, timing, and proximity to your destination.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Skip to content