Vienna state opera

• Josh Grisdale

April 18, 2020 at 1:50 pm

Hi there! While I have never personally been, I love researching stuff and found this when looking it up.

The biggest thing to remember is that the building is listed as a historical building and therefore the amount of accessibility adaptations they can do is limited. However, they seem to be working on making the facility open for everyone.

If you are going for a guided tour:

The tours are (claimed to be) wheelchair accessible. While no registration is required for individuals, they do ask you come 15 minutes ahead of time. (Groups must register in advance.)

If you are going for a performance:

In total, there are 22 wheelchair accessible seats (all with a seat for a companion) – 4 in the orchestra stalls and 18 more on the balcony. However, these seats are in high demand and must be reserved by directly contacting the opera house directly.

Getting in:

Not all entrances are accessible, but the one at Herbert v Karajan square by Cafe Oper Wien is. Accessible toilets are available and assistance dogs are permitted.

Hope this helps!

• Josh Grisdale

April 18, 2020 at 1:51 pm

Oh, sorry! Forgot to say the info was from the Vienna State Opera website: https://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/en/your-visit/disabled-access/

Hopefully someone who has been can comment on this as well.

• Accessible Japan

April 18, 2020 at 2:05 pm

Hello,

Actually, a friend went to the opera and made a video about it.

She shows getting in, both type of accessible seats, and the accessible toilet.

The video is in Japanese, but there are English subtitles if you:

• Click on the “Closed Captions” button
    • (If the subtitles are in Japanese) you can click on settings and you can change the language there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3_EtO5GMI

• soniagroot

June 16, 2020 at 11:36 pm

thank you! this really helps me!

• Josh Grisdale

June 17, 2020 at 5:11 pm

Glad to be of help! Even if I haven’t been, I really love researching this stuff.

If you go, please share an update after!

Skip to content