Adapted Rental Vehicles

• Adapted Rental Vehicles

Posted by Geordie Travels on October 6, 2023 at 9:19 am

Does anyone have experience of renting adapted vehicles in places you might not expect to find them? Countries like the USA and the UK have some decent options when it comes to renting vehicles with adaptions, and I know that in New Zealand for example there’s companies such as Freedom Mobility. But what about more far flung places? Is there a workaround if there’s just no standard options?

I live in Brazil and currently I am still waiting to save up enough money to purchase hand controls (they’re pretty expensive here). In the meantime though I would love to rent a car, but so far, I haven’t been able to find a rental company that provides adapted vehicles. It’s a bummer….

I know it’s a long shot, and I am definitely being a bit vague with my question – but yeah – maybe we can start a discussion relating to the different countries where you’ve managed to rent a vehicle?

Unknown Member replied 5 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

October 6, 2023 at 9:55 am

In Japan I have rented cars several times to be driven in – ie I just ride. More and more rental places are offering those now.

As for an adapted vehicle, I found one place in Tokyo and recommended it several times but was told they had stopped renting to travelers because of concerns with insurance etc… too bad.

While public transportation is great in Japan, getting out into the country you really do need a car…

• Patty

October 6, 2023 at 9:38 pm

We rented a brilliant vehicle in Australia from Europcar at Sydney Airport it was a very comfortable vehicle, had power steering, was automatic I’d highly recommend them, I’ve copied the link here https://www.europcar.com.au/products/wheelchair-accessible-car-rental, hope this helps😊

• Unknown Member

November 22, 2023 at 4:29 pm

It’s tricky finding adapted vehicles in unexpected spots. Anyone got tips on renting in less common places? Let’s share our global rental adventures and maybe help out a fellow driver in Brazil.

Skip to content