Charging scooter batteries on the move.

• Charging scooter batteries on the move.

Posted by floppus on November 19, 2019 at 4:21 am

I have 2 Pride Gogo traveller scooters and are taking delivery this week of a Motability provided Seat Alhambra equipped to carry both scooters but losing the rear 2 seats and the  middle row of 3 eased forward a touch. The rear console is equipped with a 240v aux socket which according to the handbook indicates an output max of 1200 Watts. It would be great whilst on the move to be topping up/charging one of the scooter batteries. 

Does anyone have any knowledge or advice on this issue.  Thank you. 

repeats replied 4 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • gbgb

November 20, 2019 at 1:52 am

Hi Floppus:

Have a look at your chargers information plate/label. It should say something like:

Input: 240 volts            Output 24 volts

2 amps                           5 amps

50-60 Hz                       DC

The outlet on the rear console puts out 5 amps max at peak and probably 3 amps steady state. So if the input for your charger is less than 3 amps you should have no problem charging one scooter at a time.

If you are uncertain copy the information from the charger into this string and I will look at it for you.

There is probably also a 12 volt outlet that looks like a cigar lighter socket. It may have more capacity, so you could plug in your own converter to give more capacity or to use to plug in a second charger for the second scooter.

• floppus

November 20, 2019 at 5:08 am

Thanks for your reply

As far as I can see the charger information is as follows  

Universal Power Group

Sealed Lead Acid Charger Input AC 240v 1.8 A 50/60 Hz

Output 24v   DC  2A

The charger is fitted with a 13 amp fused domestic plug so some form of adapter will be required for the car.

The 2 scooters are both Pride 

1 has 2 x 14 amph batts the other 2 x 17. I would be happy to  do one at once

The Sockets in the car  are…… 4 X 12v 120 watts 

1 X 230v 150 watts (300 peak) 50 Hz

The 240 socket takes 2 pins app 2cms long and is approx 4cms by 2cms, 6 sided.

Hope this info is of use.

Floppus

• gbgb

November 20, 2019 at 7:29 am

Hi Floppus:

I’m a little confused as to which sockets you have. I wasn’t sure if there was a typo or if you have six sockets all together.

The socket in your original post was 240 volts, 1200 watts or 5 amps, it will run your charger just fine with no problem.

The sockets in your second post,  four at 12 volts, 120 watts or 1 amp, and one at 230 volts 150 watts or 0.65 amps will not.

I hope this helps and doesn’t confuse.  😉

• tabifolk

Organizer
    November 20, 2019 at 9:25 am

Hello,

Not sure if this helps, but here are the manuals for Pride Mobility products.

https://www.pridemobility.com/resources-and-support/pride-mobility-product-owners-manuals-and-specification-sheets

There are a number of Go-go scooters listed, which model is yours?

If I understand correctly, you would like to know if the 1200 watt aux from the vehicle can charge the scooter while driving, correct?

• repeats

December 18, 2019 at 11:56 pm

I have a scooter that I’ve never had to “top up” mid day if this is your issue, I also don’t use it every day which could be the difference.

Skip to content