Dealing with heat when traveling with a disability

• Dealing with heat when traveling with a disability

Posted by tabifolk on July 17, 2023 at 10:43 am

Dealing with heat when you are home or working is one thing, but when you are traveling you are spending a lot more time outside than usual. With the world facing record heat waves, traveling can be hazardous – especially if you have a disability.

What are your tips to beat the heat? Fans clipped to your wheelchair? Ice packs in leg braces? Frequent stops for ice cream? Let us know!

tabita replied 12 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Carlos

July 17, 2023 at 11:13 am

I avoid traveling in the summer to whatever destination I want to go to.

As a kid, my last trip with my parents was a road trip to Memphis, TN (the US South, for those who don’t know). My parents hated luxury, so they thought it was okay, for a 2-week trip in July, to stay in a cabin with no air conditioning and no accessible showers at a campground. The cabin just had a bunk bed frame and a queen-sized bed frame so you could put your sleeping bags or air mattress on them. I had to walk with a walker (back when I could) from the cabin to the showers through dirt and gravel in high humidity and hot weather to take a shower in a setup I had to figure out on my own.

After that trip, I vowed to never travel like that ever again and I haven’t. No amount of money would change my mind. The closest to that that I have done was a trip to San Antonio, TX for a weekend. I was in an air-conditioned home and only did sightseeing in the early evenings. But, since I had to use my manual chair and not my power chair, I wasn’t seated properly and came home with a pressure sore.

At home, I stay in or go to the beach.

• Josh Grisdale

July 17, 2023 at 11:36 am

I have tried some small battery operated fans, sticking ice packs between my backrest and my back etc.. The ice packs are temporary of course, but the little fans do help a bit. I even have one that can be hung on your neck.

I also finally caved and bought a hat the other day!

The most dangerous, I think though, is not drinking enough. I’m always worried about finding accessible toilets so I tend to cut back on liquids – which is a really bad idea. So, maybe increasing the number of accessible toilets is a good way to beat the heat since I’ll (we’ll?) stay more hydrated!

• wilson.93.david

July 19, 2023 at 8:50 pm

Travelling in hot weather can present challenges for anyone, and if you’re travelling with a disability, it’s important to take some extra precautions to ensure your comfort and safety. I would suggest carrying an umbrella, or ice bags, as you suggested. One obvious thing to do is drink a lot of water to stay hydrated, or else it’s going to cause trouble for sure. Try wearing lightweight and loose-fitting clothing that allows air circulation.

• tabita

July 28, 2023 at 6:45 pm

Stay hydrated. Bring water, an umbrella, and a portable fan.

Skip to content