Dealing with heat when traveling with a disability

• Dealing with heat when traveling with a disability

Posted by TabiFolk on July 17, 2023 at 10:43 am

Dealing with heat when you are home or working is one thing, but when you are traveling you are spending a lot more time outside than usual. With the world facing record heat waves, traveling can be hazardous – especially if you have a disability.

What are your tips to beat the heat? Fans clipped to your wheelchair? Ice packs in leg braces? Frequent stops for ice cream? Let us know!

tabita replied 9 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Carlos

July 17, 2023 at 11:13 am

I avoid traveling in the summer to whatever destination I want to go to.

As a kid, my last trip with my parents was a road trip to Memphis, TN (the US South, for those who don’t know). My parents hated luxury, so they thought it was okay, for a 2-week trip in July, to stay in a cabin with no air conditioning and no accessible showers at a campground. The cabin just had a bunk bed frame and a queen-sized bed frame so you could put your sleeping bags or air mattress on them. I had to walk with a walker (back when I could) from the cabin to the showers through dirt and gravel in high humidity and hot weather to take a shower in a setup I had to figure out on my own.

After that trip, I vowed to never travel like that ever again and I haven’t. No amount of money would change my mind. The closest to that that I have done was a trip to San Antonio, TX for a weekend. I was in an air-conditioned home and only did sightseeing in the early evenings. But, since I had to use my manual chair and not my power chair, I wasn’t seated properly and came home with a pressure sore.

At home, I stay in or go to the beach.

• Josh Grisdale

July 17, 2023 at 11:36 am

I have tried some small battery operated fans, sticking ice packs between my backrest and my back etc.. The ice packs are temporary of course, but the little fans do help a bit. I even have one that can be hung on your neck.

I also finally caved and bought a hat the other day!

The most dangerous, I think though, is not drinking enough. I’m always worried about finding accessible toilets so I tend to cut back on liquids – which is a really bad idea. So, maybe increasing the number of accessible toilets is a good way to beat the heat since I’ll (we’ll?) stay more hydrated!

• wilson.93.david

July 19, 2023 at 8:50 pm

Travelling in hot weather can present challenges for anyone, and if you’re travelling with a disability, it’s important to take some extra precautions to ensure your comfort and safety. I would suggest carrying an umbrella, or ice bags, as you suggested. One obvious thing to do is drink a lot of water to stay hydrated, or else it’s going to cause trouble for sure. Try wearing lightweight and loose-fitting clothing that allows air circulation.

• tabita

July 28, 2023 at 6:45 pm

Stay hydrated. Bring water, an umbrella, and a portable fan.

Skip to content