Discrimination in accessible tourism and activities

• Discrimination in accessible tourism and activities

Posted by Josh Grisdale on May 28, 2021 at 12:54 pm

I recently came across this video where a bike rider on a trail intercepts another rider on an Outrider-style disability e-bike and demands he prove he is allowed to use it there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njgxH1aEg7w

It got me wondering, have others had experiences of aggressive discrimination like this when trying to experience leisure activities or traveling? (Other than the obvious things like places not being accessible.)

Josh Grisdale replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Servaas Kamerling

May 28, 2021 at 8:32 pm

Not as such. I have travelled tons and rarely have I experienced negativity from peers. Once I was accused of not being sufficiently disabled and abusing the system when at a football match. In terms of institutionalised discrimination, I have been refused passage on a few occasions by the pilot because I was travelling alone. Though this is a pilot’s right, on each occasion, the ground staff or myself managed to change the pilots mind, to my favour. But I know of others who were less fortunate. Knowing your rights is always best to counteract ignorance & perception. I’m a paraplegic btw.

• Josh Grisdale

June 9, 2021 at 10:32 am

I had no idea that pilots could do that. Was it a small plane? For the most part, on the flights I’ve been on I’ve never seen the pilots as they are already locked away in the cabin.

• Joan Pahisa

June 11, 2021 at 7:44 pm

Well, as a little person it’s quite common to have to face slurs, people taking pictures of you and other confronting situations. Depending on the country it happens more or less often, but it’s not a thing restricted to just traveling (though in some countries or areas it intensifies). However, since being a wheelchair user, these kind of situations have been reduced a little bit.
      Also, while in Japan, although slurs and such were really rare, there were other problems when traveling alone, as sometimes I was denied access to some means of transportation (some buses and trains) or events (the seating area at a fireworks festival). Luckily, at the fireworks festival, after an hour of arguing, I was sold a ticket, though I had to prove that I could take care of myself alone in crowds.

• Servaas Kamerling

June 11, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Regular flights. Like a captain at sea, the pilot has the right to refuse passage (eg. drunk, aggressive, etc.). They are ultimately in charge of safety on board. The reason for initial refusal was they ‘could not guarantee my safety if I travelled alone’. My reasoning was that though I could not walk, this did not mean I could not move… I do believe understanding has increased over the years and this has definitely become the exception.

• Josh Grisdale

June 12, 2021 at 1:42 pm

I see. Glad you were persuasive!

Skip to content