Freedom of movement for differently abled and elderly

• Freedom of movement for differently abled and elderly

Posted by Freedom of movement on October 7, 2023 at 12:40 pm

My name is Chandra Shekar Aravala, Physical Therapist, working in St.Vincent hospital, Indiana, USA. I had recently been to India to visit my parents. India is a beautiful country, but it lacks Wheelchairs for the needy, even if there is one public places are not Wheelchair accessible. I recently travelled in India from Srikakulam district to Hyderabad (city). My father is a senior citizen, he had both knees replaced, balance is poor (berg balance score is 20/56, cut off score for fall risk is 45.). Meaning he is at risk for falls, moreover he has neuropathy, walking with a stick. There is a ramp which is 50m approximately. My father had great trouble, there was no Wheelchair available..Even if there is a wheelchair it is a big architectual barrier. The elderly cannot travel a 50m ramp.

E-Wheelchair service is available in India but it covers less than 1% of railway stations( 0.002%). I started a petition to central government of India, to extend E-Wheelchair service throughout the country, so that it reaches Prime minister of India. Please sign the petition and share with as many friends and relatives as possible, to fight for the freedom of movement, which is a basic right of every individual who is differently abled, elderly,women travelling with small children and sick people. Let our voice be heard and resonate.

https://chng.it/FfXBgqXWfN

Freedom of movement replied 6 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

October 7, 2023 at 12:47 pm

Great information and I love your desire to bring change!

I just signed the petition 👍

Skip to content