Theme parks and screaming out loud rides

• Theme parks and screaming out loud rides

Posted by Eleonora on February 24, 2021 at 9:01 pm

Hello TabifolkS,

I have a question regarding themeparks with rides: I was contacted by someone who loves the rides, is blind and has been denied access to rides in some parks around the world, even if accompanied. This is however not always the case, and he was able to scream his lungs out (I don’t know if he did, I always do on rides) in some themeparks. What is your experience with accessing rides, or not being able to access them?

pieterghijsels replied 2 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

February 25, 2021 at 12:17 pm

Hi,

I do NOT like rides but have been dragged on them.

AGES ago when I was a kid (like 25-30 years ago!) at Canada’s Wonderland there were some impossible rides (only stairs up and I use a wheelchair), but if you could access the ride they would often let you skip the line and go in through the exit. When the ride was over, they would offer you a second ride because transferring was difficult.

I also went on a few at Disney World but was easily carried on by my parents – though my pants fell off during one transfer. In front of the whole line. ?

After moving to Japan in 2007 I was reluctantly dragged to Tokyo Disney. You wouldn’t skip the line, but could make an appointment for a ride (ie instead of waiting 30 min in line, come back in 30 min). As long as your helper/family could get you on, it was fine. I have a picture of a terrified me with some other disabled friends on the log ride.

In Japan, that all changed March 11, 2011 with the huge earthquake and tsunami.

After the devastation, evacuations were definitely on everyone’s mind. This caused theme parks to change their policies on rides – you must be able to evacuate by walking on your own in an emergency. (Laws may have changed, but I’m not sure, but the parks’ rules certainly did.)

Shows etc are still accessible of course, but rides are only for those who can walk (and I assume navigate) out by themselves.

But, that is Japan.

Maybe @impactvacations can offer some insight? They are the pros when it comes to theme parks in North America.

• pieterghijsels

July 23, 2021 at 6:58 pm

Ah, yes. The same happened to me on a school trip. The theme parc would let me skip the waiting line together with my companions (no further specifications). Needless to say, half of my class wanted to be my companions and dragged me along. At one point, the ride made a looping and my glasses fell off. Luckily only to the bottom of our cart.

• Eleonora

March 3, 2021 at 8:50 pm

hehe, no Selim loves the adrenaline and wants to go on MORE rides, hence the request 😀

• Josh Grisdale

March 4, 2021 at 10:35 am

Are you looking in Europe or the States?

• Eleonora

April 20, 2021 at 4:46 pm

Hello thank you all for your replies, however the person I was inquiring about is blind, he does not have a mobility impairment, so the rules are again different. It all boils down, from the answers he has received from various theme parks, to the fact that he could make the evacuation in case of emergency complicated for other people… but it really depends on the structure of the rides and the specific evacuation setup.

• Josh Grisdale

April 21, 2021 at 9:57 am

While he isn’t on TabiFolk, you may want to get in touch with Tony the Traveller. He has been around the world (many times over!) and is blind. He also likes extreme stuff like white water rafting, so rollercoasters are also likely up his ally. Maybe he can help?

Here is his website: https://www.tonythetraveller.com/

• Eleonora

May 7, 2021 at 4:50 pm

He was on the podcast you shared some time ago? He sure has travelled a lot!!!!

• Josh Grisdale

May 7, 2021 at 4:51 pm

That’s right. He’ll also be speaking at AITCAP. Are you attending?

• Eleonora

May 7, 2021 at 4:52 pm

I’d love to see the recorded sessions but I am struggling to find the access…

• Eleonora

May 7, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Oh I think I found it!

• Josh Grisdale

April 17, 2021 at 10:31 am

So, it does seem to be a worldwide trend. I guess when rules weren’t as established, there was more flexibility…

Skip to content