Tips for Traveling with a Chronic Illness

• Tips for Traveling with a Chronic Illness

Posted by azaleeboy on December 12, 2018 at 10:58 am

Came across this article and thought it was worth sharing. The challenges of traveling with a chronic illness are often overlooked but can have a huge impact on the traveler and their companions.

I thought this part was very important as it is easy to get caught up in the moment:

DON’T let yourself get worn out

You are going to want to push yourself. You’re going to want to overtax yourself. You may even wake up feeling so good you think you can handle more. DON’T DO IT. Please don’t misunderstand me, if an opportunity comes up to do something you really want to do, I’m not saying you should let it pass. I am saying that you need to think about how you will recuperate and get the level of rest that you need to recharge from that activity. Think hard about what activities exhaust YOU. Not someone else with your same diagnosis, YOU. For me, long periods of walking and crowded areas are draining. For you it might be cold temperatures. Or stupid people. Think about your day to day activities. Try to remember what caused your last big collapse. How do I know you’ve had a big collapse recently? Oh honey, I know.

Be sure to read the rest of the tips: https://www.travelbreatherepeat.com/traveling-with-fibromyalgia/

Unknown Member replied 4 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • sarahpoitras

February 19, 2019 at 3:00 am

Thanks for sharing this great tip from Erin on our blog. I’m a huge proponent of challenging myself when I travel, but also keeping my own limits in mind.

• Unknown Member

June 8, 2019 at 2:21 am

Newbie here so my reply is a few months late, but thank you for sharing this. I agree that it can be easy to get caught up in the thrill of traveling, so it is important to listen to your body when it tells you to take a break. Never had a problem with it as I see myself as a slow traveler. As for the light packing, I am proud to have already mastered that skill!

Skip to content