Traveling solo

• Traveling solo

Posted by Amy on February 26, 2024 at 12:14 am

I am flying solo to Japan and dread the thought of being lost on trains. I would like to know if others have done this here.

On top of that worry, I worry more about my mobility and just getting around. I had a knee implant done 8 months ago, and find it hard to go down steps. I’ll be getting more physical therapy for this after a long journey with my surgery which didn’t go that smoothly. I actually began walking on my own about 2 months ago but my leg does get tired.

So, how much time is allotted to cross Shibuya crossing? 😀 And do the people there around Tokyo walk quickly or is there more of a slow place, because of the crowds of people in some parts of Tokyo?

AsiaMarketMakers replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Rebeca Kim

February 26, 2024 at 1:08 am

Hello!

Yes, they walk quickly, but they are also very polite and kind so I think there’s nothing to you worry about it. I’m sure you can walk on your own time, everyone around will respect you. About shibuya and other big crossings, I found out easily to walk on the morning. In the night is very crowd, but again everyone respect the space of each other, so it’s not a big deal, just keep in mind: it’s crowded. In the train or metro station you can always ask for help, as a person with disability with mobility issues. And there is always elevator

• schroth-sensei

February 26, 2024 at 3:41 am

Hello Amy,
    If you’re worried about moving quickly or getting lost at a train station, renting a motorized wheelchair could be a solution for you. Getting across the crossing in my wheelchair wasn’t a problem and I didn’t feel rushed to cross either, and at train stations you’ll get so much help getting to your train in a wheelchair that getting lost won’t be a concern.

Also, if you decide against using a wheelchair, I don’t know if you use crutches or a walker (possible option if not), but the majority of stations do have elevators you can use anyway to save your knees from the stairs.

As for crowds, it’s recommended to avoid morning and evening rush hour whenever possible. Some of the trains, especially busy stations like those on the Yamanote loop, can be quite packed with people during this time.

I hope that helps,
    -Justin

• Amy

February 28, 2024 at 5:59 pm

Thanks to you both. I am able to walk, and hoping to walk faster by April which is when I’ll be leaving. Bringing along a folding cane just in case for support. I’m actually practicing to walk a little faster at home. I’m also getting physical therapy in a week for coming down steps. The other day, I took a chance on an escalator at a mall, and I just need two make sure I step off on the “good” leg and not the surgical one. Glad to hear about elevators on the train stations–I see many YouTube videos of stations with some steep steps (ie; Akihabara) at some point. I will try to remember about the rush hours in Shibuya–and I’ll be with a friend hopefully for that and not walking alone. But I am glad that people far respectful and kind there about these things.

• AsiaMarketMakers

March 9, 2024 at 5:47 pm

I have travelled to Japan on my own quite a lot of times now. Also travelled within Japan a fair bit too. My suggestion is to ask for special assistance on trains to avoid getting off at the wrong station.

My mobility has certainly decreased since I first went to Japan.

However, I’ve never had a problem if I get lost at a station or if I go shopping somewhere.

Generally, I have found people very friendly and willing to help.

Skip to content