Import WAV to India

• Import WAV to India

Posted by atiya on September 10, 2018 at 3:26 am

We are NRIs but live in India for about a month in a year. We got a wheelchair-bound disabled son. We like to import his adapted car to India and keep it at our own premises to overcome the difficulties while in India. How could we do this? I would appreciate for any information particularly to do with disability.

atiya replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • TabiFolk

Organizer
    September 10, 2018 at 9:12 am

Hello,

Maybe @parul-ghosh or Neha from @planet-abled have information on this?

• planet-abled

September 10, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Hi Atiya,

The cost of importing would be high and would depend on the country you are importing it from. Since I don’t know your country of residence it difficult to specify.

But it would still have 200-300 % tax on it, equivalent to buying 2-3 cars in India. I would have to check if there is any relaxation on an adaptive vehicle. Also the vehicle also requires regular maintenance and depreciates over time. Availability of spare parts might be an issue and if there is a breakdown a lot of time would be wasted in repair.

There are wheelchair accessible taxis now available in few cities in India. If you can specify your city of residence while you are in India I can let you know the availability of the vehicle around it. It would be a good option to just hire a taxi for your usage in that case.

If you really want to have your own vehicle in India it would be cheaper to buy a vehicle here in India and get a hydraulic/manual lift installed to make it wheelchair accessible. There are some really good vehicle modifiers now in India who do a great job at it. Would be happy to connect to them if you want.

Hope this helps. 🙂

• atiya

September 11, 2018 at 1:11 am

Hi Neha,

Many thanks for your response. We are in the UK and the city in India is in Imphal, in the remote North Eastern state of Manipur. Unfortunately wheelchair accessible taxis would take a long time to come there. I was looking information for importing adapted vehicles which I thought could have import tax benefits, I would appreciate if you could point me to the right resources I can follow.

Kind regards,

Atiya

• planet-abled

September 12, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Hi Atiya,

Let me look into the details of any exemptions available for import of accessible vehicles to India. Give me a few days. Would try to connect you to the right authority to do that.

Does your son drive the vehicle himself? Since in that case we would have to look at the licensing also.

Lets find out the best solution for you 🙂

Cheers!

• atiya

September 12, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Hi Neha,

Thank you and really appreciated for your time. My son is just 7 yrs old so he doesn’t and the vehicle I’m looking to import is an adapted 2015 VW Caravelle which is registered in my wife’s name. Looking forward for some detail.

kind regards.

Skip to content