60th Birthday

• 60th Birthday

Posted by Bren on February 25, 2024 at 7:47 pm

I’m turning 60 while in Tokyo. Looking for suggestions on somewhere or something special to do. 😊

Bren replied 2 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

February 25, 2024 at 8:10 pm

Is there any food you like in particular? Also, can you remind us of the season?

• Amy

February 25, 2024 at 10:29 pm

What is it that you prefer? There are so many restaurants that cater to meat, fish, and so on. If you like meat, there are many special restaurants that have meat from the north (Kobe beef, or Wagyu beef especially). Then there are of course the revolving sushi bars. From soba and ramen in Tokyo to Udon in Kyoto (which some say is the best), you have so many choices. Tsujiki Market supposedly has the best, freshest sushi you’ll have around. Must get thee early, people come for breakfast and any other time. Think of what you’d like to have or try for the first time, and go there. I would love to visit the izakayas myself, and try a few things for breakfast lunch and dinner.

As for what to do: I think there are trains that are really special around some areas. They are not the usual type of trains you’ll find in Tokyo. There is one ion Fukuoka Prefecture, and I believe in Kyoto as well. They are very old fashioned and go through the countrysides of Japan. I forget the names but if I can find where I saw them, I will let you know. Have a happy one.

• Bren

February 26, 2024 at 12:03 pm

Thanks so much. My birthday is 17 March. I love seafood but enjoy a well cooked steak as well. I feel like the beef around here isn’t great quality. So if there’s something worth trying there I’d do for the experience. We are going to Kobe and Kyoto in the following week, so thought we’d stay in Tokyo. I’m from Australia so don’t have many unique type themed places. I’d like to experience something we don’t have here. I had a look at the Immersive Theme park in Odaiba. Looks fun. Has anyone been there? If you find those old trains I’d be interested too. 😊

• Josh Grisdale

February 26, 2024 at 1:46 pm

How about on the top of SkyTree?

https://restaurant.tokyo-skytree.jp/english/

• schroth-sensei

February 27, 2024 at 3:08 am

Great idea, I second this (though I haven’t tried the restaurant personally). Also, when picking a time I recommend trying to be at SkyTree at least an hour before sunset, the city view is awesome and almost has a different personality in day and night (see attached, though it’s way better in person).

• Bren

February 29, 2024 at 10:37 pm

That is pretty impressive. Will keep it in mind. Thank you

Skip to content