Accessible bathroom facilities

• Accessible bathroom facilities

Posted by rosemis on March 21, 2024 at 4:04 am

Hi, are accessible bathroom facilities common around Tokyo and Kyoto, or are they hard to find? Thanks!

rosemis replied 1 month, 1 week ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Nick

March 21, 2024 at 4:18 am

Hi , I’m afraid they are far and few between. We have had several problems booking Accessible Rooms with full accessible bathrooms. The Japanese tend to advertise accessible rooms as barrier free rooms The will have access with wide doors etc but help around the bathroom with grap rails etc can be sparse and in soon cases no existent. We have booked the Kimpton Hotel which has fully accessible rooms. Everything we need ,grab rails around the toilet, roll in shower etc We had booked the JAl Hotel near Haneda Airport but after the hotel supplied pictures of the facilities in the room which was advertised as a barrier free room we had to change hotels So my advice is contact the hotels before committing to a booking and ask for pictures of the room. Hope this helps.

• schroth-sensei

March 21, 2024 at 4:27 am

If you are referring to hotel accessible toilet facilities that Nick mentions, it can be sometimes problematic as most hotels only rent accessible (barrier-free) rooms to people who call direct and book (which can be a further issue if they only speak Japanese). In these cases it definitely pays to do your research, as some hotels may have standard rooms that may work for you, while others may not at all.

• rosemis

March 22, 2024 at 2:24 pm

Thanks, we were limited as a lot of places have step in bath/showers or tiny showers with steps. So hopefully what I have chosen works ok. Thanks for your reply

• rosemis

March 22, 2024 at 2:22 pm

Thanks Nick. I have booked rooms online – the main thing is shower rather than bathtub for hotel and lift access, which we could figure out online. I did message hotels also so hopefully all works out ok. crossing fingers and toes!

• schroth-sensei

March 21, 2024 at 4:20 am

Often they can be very easy to find! Most train stations have an accessible toilet in its own room (like the multipurpose/family bathrooms in the US, but with more accommodations), and because these stations are pretty common throughout Japan it makes them a convenient place to go, when you have to go. The only drawback is that they are often on the other side of the turnstile, so it may be best to use it immediately before/after a train trip while you’re still in the station.

Check out this Accessible Japan page on Accessible Toilets in Japan for more information and examples.

• rosemis

March 22, 2024 at 2:17 pm

Thankyou for that info! Phew – good to know they are easy enough to find when we are out and about.

• Bren

March 23, 2024 at 12:46 pm

I am in Kyoto now and was in Tokyo previous few days. I have not found a problem finding accessible toilets anywhere. They are at all the train stations and shopping centres, and other touristy places.

We are staying at Granvia Hotel, universal room is what they call them. Bathroom very accessible. Buttons for everything on the loo, including lifting and putting down the toilet seat and lid. Most bathrooms have a shower area next to the bath as standard, so if the bathroom is large enough, can shower everywhere so far. This room has emergency button next to bed and remote control curtains. Door to room slides sideways rather than pulling or pushing it. Lock is down low for easy access. Toilet chair and shower seat provided.

• rosemis

March 24, 2024 at 6:30 am

Thanks Bren – good to know there are accessible toilets everywhere when out and about. We managed to only get one universal room during our stay, but the other rooms have the shower next to bath or a large shower option, which hopefully will be ok. At least in hotel, we can take our time and there should be room for carers to help. It was out and about I was most worried about, but am feeling much more reassured. Thanks all.

Skip to content