Accessible Room Not Needed?

• Accessible Room Not Needed?

Posted by disneyanytime on January 18, 2024 at 7:53 am

We are traveling to Japan this year. My son is in a wheelchair and non ambulatory. He is relatively small and we carry transport him to the bed, bathroom, etc. When we travel we rarely get an accessible room because his chair is small and we don’t need all of the extra bars, lower bed, etc. Do we have to get an accessible room? There are 4 of us and it seems that all accessible rooms are for less than that. Will it cause a problem if we show up at a hotel with him in a wheelchair but reserved a regular room? As long as there is an elevator we are ok and will check for that before we reserve. We traveled across Europe and it was only a concern for one hotel but was an easy fix. Thanks!

disneyanytime replied 1 day, 23 hours ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • CJ

January 18, 2024 at 8:00 am

It shouldn’t be a problem in most hotels if your son is in a portable wheelchair to book a regular room, especially if he doesn’t need all the accessible items in the bathroom, however, some hotels have small rooms and bathrooms that may make it difficult to roll a wheelchair around or into or may have a small step from the entrance into the room, so I’d recommend the western hotel brands or other hotels with larger rooms. Some more traditional Japanese hotels with tatami mats may not allow wheelchairs. You can contact each hotel individually by email to see if there would be any issues with a wheelchair like stairs, etc.

• disneyanytime

January 18, 2024 at 10:32 am

Thank you!

• Jul

February 11, 2024 at 3:49 am

Hello

No problem in hotel Where we gone.

The only one problem was:

Sometimes the side of thé room was very small and it was difficult to have the Wheelchair in the room and to go to the bathroom ( hotel apa in Osaka ).

• Josh Grisdale

February 11, 2024 at 12:39 pm

You may want to try Mimaru Hotels. I have worked with them a bit for Accessible Japan and they are focused on family travel and each room has 4 beds. There are no steps in the rooms and a few of their hotels have accessible family rooms. (I stayed in a regular room once and while the toilet was a bit tight to turn into in my power wheelchair, it was doable.)

https://mimaruhotels.com/en/

• disneyanytime

May 1, 2024 at 12:43 am

Thank you! We are staying in 2 different Miramu and a Monday hotel along with a few Disney hotels during our stay there! Miramu seems to be a great suggestion!

Skip to content