Accommodation close to train station/transportation links & powered chair

• Accommodation close to train station/transportation links & powered chair

Posted by Ash on April 25, 2024 at 11:34 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked lots of times, still trying to make me way round the platform!

We are hoping to take our trip to Japan on Halloween for 3 weeks. We haven’t properly confirmed where we will be staying and when but definitely will be spending a week in Tokyo (where we land).

I am looking for accommodation recommendations that are mid-tier in terms of budget and relatively close to transport links/accessible train stations. I can walk short distances so can manoeuvre the wheelchair into place if need be but will be depending on the chair for the majority of my trip.

Also, should I aim for a standard room or accessible room (which is usually more expensive as it is bigger). Not sure how small the standard rooms are but if need be I can get out of the chair at the door, fold and place in a small area of the standard room. Can anyone please advice whether a standard room would be adequate?

Thanks,

Ash

Ash replied 1 week, 1 day ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Mark

April 26, 2024 at 12:59 am

Hey Ash,

I’m flying to Tokyo soon and found The B Ginza has reasonably priced rooms. I will have my Permobil M3 powerchair and while the hotel staff mentioned the chair will fit in their standard “single room,” (145 sq ft) they recommended getting the slightly larger room which is 178 sq ft. But your chair folds up so you may be good to go with the smaller room. Hope this info helps.

Enjoy your travels.

-M

• Ash

April 27, 2024 at 4:16 am

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will check out the B Ginza – thank you for the recommendation, I will take a look and see if it looks like it would be suitable for what we need it for!

Appreciate your help and I hope you enjoy your holiday!

• Nicola

April 26, 2024 at 2:31 am

Hey Ash,

I’ve just come back from two weeks in Japan, including time spent in Tokyo. I’m a full time manual wheelchair user We paid for a “queen accessible room” at the Sequence hotel which with the wheelchair was tbh still a squeeze to get into the bathroom but sounds like it’d be ok for you.

Are you ok with a shower over bath or do you need a step free shower as we found the latter almost impossible to find unless you paid for a high end hotel.

One piece of advice I’d definitely offer is to look at the metro map and accessibility of the stations. You can check the barrier free access at stations here;

https://www.tokyometro.jp/lang_en/station/search_accessibility/index.html

And then look for a hotel near one with multiple accessible lines. We found the vast majority did have disabled access but often it’s a case of finding the right entrance and exit! Shout if you’ve any other help. I’ve attached pics of our room for ref!

• Ash

April 27, 2024 at 4:22 am

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your reply. I hope you enjoyed your travels!

I am okay with a shower over the bath, as I do have use of my legs still – I mainly struggle with long walks and standing for a long time which impacts my energy levels on top of everything else. If I use the wheelchair for the majority of the time, I will be able to use a ‘standard’ bathroom without issue.

Thank you so much for your advice on the metro map and accessibility – I didn’t even think about an accessibility map! This is super helpful. I also appreciate you sharing the pics of your room in your hotel! This sounds fantastic and will defo take a look. Again really appreciate your advice and recommendations 😀

• Jul

April 26, 2024 at 2:43 am

Hi, last year we went to royal Park hôtel. It was a great place with subway near by and a bus directly to haneda airport

• Ash

April 27, 2024 at 4:23 am

Hi Jul,

Thanks for your reply. I will take a look! 😀

• alliejay

April 26, 2024 at 4:27 am

Hi Ash:

I use a foldable manual chair and can get around a room without it. In March 2023, my husband and I stayed at the Maronuchi hotel next to Tokyo station

https://marunouchi.metropolitan.jp/

i did not request an accessible room and I still had room to keep my chair folded.

The hotel is literally next to Tokyo station which is linked to just about everything. You can get some pretty reasons rates if you book early.

have a wondering time!

• Ash

April 27, 2024 at 4:26 am

Hi AllieJay,

Thanks for your comment. I will defo look into your hotel recommendation as it sounds ideal for what I am looking for. I am glad that you managed to find a room where there was still room to move around once the wheelchair is folded and stored correctly. Prevents us having to climb all over the place when mobility is already limited!

• Josh Grisdale

April 26, 2024 at 9:02 am

Some great advice here already, so I’ll just echo what Nicola mentioned about the bath/shower being a unit and therefore requiring stepping up over the side of the tub to get in to use the shower. While I don’t officially recommend it, they often have a drain on the outside of the tub as well, so you could – carefully – shower there too in a pinch.

Since you mentioned you can walk a bit, it likely won’t be an issue, but some hotels will have a step into the toilet/bath area. A friend who can normally use a non-accessible room even though he cannot walk was very surprised by that and couldn’t use the bath.

While they are not mid-level, Toyoko Inn has hundreds of hotels by stations and they have accessible rooms that are fairly good and quite cheap.

• Ash

April 27, 2024 at 4:31 am

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your comment. Appreciate your advice, hopefully I can find a room with a suitable bath/shower however, I am able to step over the side of the tub if there isn’t an option of a step-free bathroom. Sorry to hear that your friend got a negative surprise about the non-accessibility of the bathroom, it can be so difficult to really make sure that the room is 100% suitable.

Thanks for the accommodation recommendation – I will defo take a look! 😀

Skip to content