Airplane transfer question

• Airplane transfer question

Posted by Freedk on June 10, 2024 at 11:27 am

Does anyone know how they transfer you from your seat to wheelchair if you cannot weight bear im 6 ft and about 120kg so lifting might be hard but was curious as i do want to visit japan, i have only ever been to airports that have had a hoist. also have called the airport and airline but they don’t seem to give a straight answer . all i know is that narita airport does not have a hoist available

Kathie replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • 8Boru

June 10, 2024 at 12:53 pm

I weigh 52kg so they used a portable sling under me to lift me. It was a good experience in Japan. Although I had to bring my own sling. Idk if they’ve a hoist in airport

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      June 10, 2024 at 2:57 pm

Hi,

You mentioned they used a lift, but you don’t know about the airport. Can you clarify where you used the sling lift?

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    June 10, 2024 at 4:26 pm

I talked to a friend in the transport industry in Japan (focusing on accessibility) and she is sure that neither the airports nor the local airlines (ANA & JAL) have a lift.

However, that doesn’t mean a foreign airline doesn’t have one since each airline takes care of the disembarkation process. So, for example United, or Qantas etc may have a hoist like that available to them and it is best to ask the airlines directly.

But, once you ask and find out, please do share what you find!

• Tak

June 11, 2024 at 9:47 am

Nice to meet you.

Larger airports may have lift vehicles for boarding. Basically, you may not be able to use it when boarding on a boarding bridge, but there may be room for negotiation.

Also, transferring to a seat using a sling lift may be difficult. I think they are probably using sliding boards.

Tak

• Kathie

June 18, 2024 at 1:06 am

We travelled to Narita Airport in April 2024. My husband is 260 lbs and 6’2″ and cannot stand. There was no hoist to help him out of his seat. They lifted him into an aisle chair and his own wheelchair was at the door of the plane and they then transferred him into his own chair. A hoist would have been better but this worked.

Skip to content