Alone in Japan, legs not strong

• Alone in Japan, legs not strong

Posted by Diane on August 15, 2023 at 11:16 am

I am taking my first trip to Asia, and going by myself. Landing in Tokyo, Narita, Sept 6th. Leaving from Tokyo on Sept 15th. I am 63 years old, overweight, and my legs feel weak, but I am going anyhow! I want to spend some time in Tokyo and Kyoto, maybe some other places? I just get tired walking up steps. I am ok on flat ground. Any ideas of places for me to stay (that won’t have a bunch of stairs) or things to do? Thank you for any advice!

Jul replied 10 months, 3 weeks ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 15, 2023 at 3:54 pm

Hi! First of all, remember you aren’t alone – we’re here with you!

Off the bat, I feel I should mention that unlike other countries, there aren’t many places like benches to sit and catch your breath. Obviously it is up to you, but you may want to consider renting a wheelchair (even a powered one) as a possibility.

What types of places are you interested in? Historic, modern, etc.

As a starter, check out some of the attractions listed on http://www.accessible-japan.com (my other website). You may find a lot of the information you need there as a starting point and then we can fill in the gaps by answering specific questions or looking up places not yet on the site.

Looking forward to helping you plan this adventure!

• Diane

August 25, 2023 at 11:06 am

Thank you for your kind response! Every person has given me something more to think about! I really appreciate it!

• alliejay

August 16, 2023 at 12:39 am

Part time wheel chair user with weak legs here too! As Josh said, there are plenty of resources to look for accessible attractions and Japan is one of the more accessible places I have visited.

In the big cities, most hotels are on high rises with elevators and that might work well for you. We did find this a little trickier in smaller towns, but it sounds like you might be staying in larger cities.

As Josh said, have you considered renting/bringing a mobility device? I use a manual wheelchair while traveling and I do have a walker (that I can also use to sit down) for shorter trips. Would either option help you, do you think?

• babajan

August 16, 2023 at 3:39 am

For My first trip to Japan I would probably describe myself similarly and though I was tired and legs hurt it was so wonderful to be there. True there aren’t a lot of park benches etc as Josh pointed out there are lovely cafes to have a coffee or tea that can help alleviate the legs. I can’t stress enough good shoes. Another time I was in Tokyo with a friend who has arthritis and a few times we walked between train stations rather than taking the train as she found the stairs difficult. Not sure if there are elevators in more stations.

• tabita

August 17, 2023 at 5:31 pm

That’s a great addition to the suggestions! Good shoes are indeed essential for comfort and support, especially when walking and exploring for longer periods.

Regarding train stations in Tokyo, it’s worth noting that major stations like Tokyo Station, Shinjuku Station, and Shibuya Station usually have elevators or escalators to help with accessibility.

• Jul

September 5, 2023 at 5:58 am

Hello, we took a lot of trains in japan and metro in tokyo: we found lifts everywhere.

If you need, you can Ask assistance to the master of the station, he can help you to find lifts and your way.

In Kyoto we took more cabs because it seems to me that metro ( subway ) were not very near by the temples.

Skip to content