Appart Hotel or Hotel with kitchen in KYOTO and TOKYO Area

• Appart Hotel or Hotel with kitchen in KYOTO and TOKYO Area

Posted by sophiesaguez on June 11, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Hello,

Me again !

I’m having some difficulties to find appart hotels available in Kyoto and Tokyo area.
    As i reminder I’m organizing a trip to Japan for a friend of mine who is in electric wheel chair. She is traveling with her sons (10 and 18 years old) and her carer.

As she cannot really have lunch or diner outside, she would like to stay in a appart-hotel or a place where the lunch  or at least diners can be prepared (need for a small kitchen in the room or access to a kitchen).

As she is in an electric wheelchair, she also need to be able to take a shower using a shower chair (but she is unable to go into the bathtube).

Can you help?

She intends to stay in Kyoto from july 17th till July 23rd and then she will be in Tokyo from july 25th till august 2nd.

Thanks in advance for your help in finding a comfortable place to stay for her and her family (and carer).

Sophie

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

June 11, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Hello

Unfortunately, aside from AirBNB, I don’t know of any hotels with a kitchen in Japan.  For the most part, hotels are very small and have no room for a kitchen.  The rooms that are bigger tend to be in fancy hotels with nice restaurants and therefore no kitchen in the room.  In japan, people often only travel for one or two nights, so they do not cook in the hotel room.

Japan has many convenience stores that offer affordable, full meals.  So, your friend could buy a meal there for under 500 yen and eat in her room at her leisure.

Most hotels have a shower chair.  Also, even if she cannot use the bathtub (I cannot either), you can put the shower chair next to the bathtub if the bathroom has a drain in the floor.  See here: https://www.accessible-japan.com/lifehack-accessible-hotel-rooms-japan/

You may want to consider booking with a travel company like Inside Japan Tours.  Please talk to Ali ( @ali_muskett ).

Hope this helps.

• alison

June 12, 2018 at 9:31 pm
  • alison

June 12, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Sorry, auto-correct got the better of me.  Hobart Hostel should read Hibari Hostel.

• Accessible Japan

June 13, 2018 at 11:34 am

Thanks @Alison!  That is embarrassing I forgot!

• alison

June 13, 2018 at 3:38 pm

No problem 🙂

I have it in my list of places I want to stay for a trip to Kyoto.

From my experience, most hostels in Japan are clean, friendly and have a shared kitchen.  They are often foreigner-oriented (more likely showers rather than baths) and well documented on the internet with pictures and reviews.  You might be able to find something that meets your needs, including private rooms, but accessibility levels vary from place to place.  The good thing is that most will be able communicate in English to some degree and have an email or phone number for contact, so ask all your questions up front before booking.

• Accessible Japan

June 14, 2018 at 10:11 am

Great point about hostels, never thought about those.

Also, with with law changes Airbnb is likely best avoided until things settle down….

• sophiesaguez

June 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Thank you all.
    For the moment unfortunately I am still struggling.
    The hotel proposed above is unavailable at the dates we are checking.

I probably found an air BnB in Kyoto but still nothing for Tokyo area.

Still looking around.

Sophie

• Accessible Japan

June 14, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Too bad 🙁

Just be careful of Airbnb at the moment: https://mashable.com/2018/06/10/airbnb-japan-law/

• sophiesaguez

June 14, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for informing… I asked the owner to confirm !

If I understand correctly, owners need to obtain a licence number from government ?

Sophie

• Accessible Japan

June 14, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Yes, they need to be licensed by the government.

But, from what I understand, Airbnb already removed unregistered accommodations, so if they are still listed, they should be OK.  But it still doesn’t hurt to check!

Skip to content