Barrier free room with max

• Barrier free room with max

Posted by Vickster69 on March 27, 2023 at 6:03 pm

I found a “Barrier” free room Osaka with two double beds and option for a rollaway 32sq with accessible bathroom and enquired about booking for 3 people( mum, dad and wheelchair user daughter) only need two beds yet have been denied booking as hotel says max capacity 2x.

It is the only accessible room available.

Can anyone tell me why they will not allow 3 adults in an accessible room please?

We have stayed in much smaller rooms around Europe and the US on previous trips

Thanks 😊

Josh Grisdale replied 1 year ago 6 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • rao

March 27, 2023 at 6:22 pm

I looked up universal hotel rooms in Osaka that will take 3 people. In Japan, dont waste your time arguing about weird rules, just look for the next place and move on.

https://www.osaka-baytower.com/

https://www.elcient.com/osaka/

• Vickster69

March 28, 2023 at 4:08 am

We need to stay here due to proximity, time poor, plus the only hotel offering an accessible room.

• Josh Grisdale

March 27, 2023 at 6:29 pm

I agree that it might be best to just move on… but what is the name of the hotel?

• Vickster69

March 28, 2023 at 4:06 am

Park Front Universal Studios. Obvious reason why we booked it, there are other hotels within the area, this is the only one to offer an accessible room.

• SDKJapan

March 27, 2023 at 6:34 pm

Vickster69,

I am not an expert in this area, but from a cursory checks on Engish/Japanese sites I think the cause of the hotel’s response is the fire code regulations which apply to all hotels in Japan and strictly define room limits.

You might want to use your energy to find another option. Sorry, I cannot be of much help here. Best of luck!

• Josh Grisdale

March 27, 2023 at 7:02 pm

That is interesting. Do you know if it is a area to people ratio?

• SDKJapan

March 27, 2023 at 7:32 pm

The sources and dates of the information I have seen are a bit sketchy, so do not hold me to this. However, here is one explanation from a hotel industry blog(Japanese) that had more detail than others.

The law that governs room occupancy today is the Fire Service Law.(Appended Table 1 (5) of Fire Service Act Enforcement Order (under Supplementary Provisions)) (Fire Service

Law Enforcement Regulations.; Article 1-3)

Here is how the capacity is calculated.

– For Western-style accommodation rooms, the number corresponding to the number of beds in the accommodation room.

– For Japanese-style accommodation rooms, the number obtained by dividing the floor area of the accommodation room by 6 square meters (3 square meters for simple lodgings and those that mainly accommodate groups of guests).

• Ohayo Travel

March 28, 2023 at 1:02 am

I had once just the same experience with Vickster69 that the space is big enough but the number of the guest is limited to two (western-style room) and the reason then was Fire Service Law.

• Vickster69

March 28, 2023 at 4:04 am

Park Front Hotel Universal Studios

Max Capacity 2 however there are two double bed( sleep 4) and they offer a 3rd bed( rollaway) it doesn’t make sense.

• Ohayo Travel

March 28, 2023 at 10:43 am

OK, the issue seems different here.

• Josh Grisdale

March 28, 2023 at 9:58 am

Good news!

There is a hotel next doorUniversal Port Vita, with two accessible rooms that have a capacity listed as 1-3 people.

I’m not sure why but for some reason the “English” button on the website isn’t working (maybe just me?), anyway, here are the two rooms:

Vita Barrier-free Room (1-3 guests)
    https://universalport.orixhotelsandresorts.com/guest/vita_barrier_free/

Accessible Corner Room (2-3 guests)
    https://universalport.orixhotelsandresorts.com/guest/accessiblecorner/

For “Vita Barrier-free Room” explicitly states for three guests the 3rd bed is a cot…

Anyway, the website is listing 3 people and it is just across the street from your original hotel.

• Vickster69

March 28, 2023 at 10:29 am

Thanks I just had a look, same issue with the ENG button not working. I went to booking.com to check availability and it is sold out. I will ring them, thanks so much.

• Josh Grisdale

March 28, 2023 at 10:35 am

They may very well be available. They do a weird thing here where they don’t allow accessible rooms to be booked online to “ensure they go to people who need them”… but not as helpful for overseas visitors!

Please keep us updated. If it works out – awesome! If it doesn’t work out, we can keep looking!

• Vickster69

March 29, 2023 at 1:14 pm

Unfortunately all the accessible rooms are booked for our dates in July already

Feeling defeated 😞

• rao

March 29, 2023 at 4:49 pm

Dates? Can check for you.

• Josh Grisdale

April 6, 2023 at 12:19 pm

Does it need to be right next to USJ? Or is it OK to be a station or two away?

• yuyu

March 28, 2023 at 6:11 pm

This is my website where I search for accessible rooms near USJ.

I would appreciate it if you could help me find another hotel.

It is in Japanese but you can use Google Translate on it.

https://accessible-japan.net/accessible-hotels-around-universal-stadios-japan/

Skip to content