Barrier free ways to visit Okunoshima?

• Barrier free ways to visit Okunoshima?

Posted by Helen on March 22, 2018 at 2:09 am

Hiya,

I am going to Japan soon and really want to vist Okunoshima (Rabbit Island) again. I have developed more servre mobility issues since I last went and now walk with a three wheeled walker. I used the route they suggested before (Hiroshima-Mihara-Tadanoumi) and I recollect that the route involes a staircase up and over the trainline at Tadanoumi. I was wodering does anybody know how to get there witthout using the stairs?

ps: your website is awsome at answering some of the questions I had about returning to Japan with a walker. Thanks alot 🙂

Helen replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Suzanne

March 22, 2018 at 10:17 am

My daughter (who uses a wheelchair) and I went by bus tour from Tokushima. Perhaps you could consider going by bus, or even booking a tour? Once you get on the ferry, and then on  the island, it’s quite accessible.

• Accessible Japan

March 22, 2018 at 11:24 am

Thank you for the response!

As Suzanne mentioned, coming from the Shikoku side is harder because you would need to take a car/bus etc.  If you come from Honshu there is a train to near where the port is. However, since the platforms are connected by a bridge, it is possible only one direction is accessible (because you need to cross to the other side to go the other direction).  If that is the case, it may just mean that you travel to the next station and then reverse directions there.

On a different note, she is too humble to tell you, but Suzanne wrote a great book on her travels around the Inland Sea with her daughter.  You should definitely read it!

Here is the review from our website: A Girl’s Guide To The Islands

Glad you enjoy the site!

• Helen

March 24, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Hiya,

Thanks for youe respose’s and advice, I shall look into what you guys have suggested, and the book 🙂

It’s  funny that I do that at home too; change buses and trains a few stop’s later to ead up on an accible side 🙂

I can’t wait to go back equiped with this information!

• Accessible Japan

March 24, 2018 at 7:29 pm

I’m so glad you understood!  I was puzzling over whether it was clear or not. 🙂
    Though, looking at Google Maps, you may be able to cross to the other side at one end of the station as it appears to be ramped… (see image)

When you go back, please help us gather more info!

• Helen

March 26, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Sure thing 🙂

Skip to content