Bath Wheelchair at the Hotels in Tokyo.

• Bath Wheelchair at the Hotels in Tokyo.

Posted by Rodrigo on February 1, 2023 at 11:59 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Rodrigo and i’m going to flight to japan soon.

Can anyone prodive any information if the hotels in general offer some bath wheelchair ? The wheelchair that i could go and use the toilet and the shower too?

I’m finding really hard to find some info like that.

I appreciate every comment.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Rodrigo

Febin replied 4 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

February 3, 2023 at 9:07 am

Hi,

Are you referring to a commode chair like this?

https://amzn.to/3HwANI9

• Rodrigo

February 3, 2023 at 9:54 am

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I’m referring the commode chair. The hotel I’m contacting they’re just giving details regarding about the room but not about if they provide commode chair.

• Josh Grisdale

February 3, 2023 at 10:09 am

I see. I am not aware of any hotels that provide a commode chair. They will typically only have a standard shower chair* (https://amzn.to/40s96sU) at most. I think commode chairs could be rented possibly, but if I recall correctly, rental companies are hesitant to rent them for hygiene reasons… not impossible, but just to warn you.

*Be sure to ask the hotel for photos of what they have as I have been unpleasantly surprised to have a shower chair in my room without a backrest etc…

• Febin

December 24, 2023 at 6:41 pm

Hi Josh, I’m a C5 complete quadriplegic. I’m hoping to visit Japan with my parents in the near future. It would be really helpful if you/anyone could share information on how the commode situation can be handled (currently, I’m using a shower wheelchair with commode design at home. And I have never travelled outside for more than 2 days so Japan is like a giant leap for me. And I still want to take that leap).

Would it be possible to rent something like a commode wheelchair or a wheelchair with commode attachment?

• Josh Grisdale

December 25, 2023 at 11:31 am

Maybe @schroth-sensei can comment on this.

From my understanding, most rental places won’t rent them for hygienic reasons and you may need to buy… or take one with you.

• schroth-sensei

December 25, 2023 at 12:32 pm

Like Josh has stated, I wasn’t able to find a rental for a shower chair in Japan (hygiene issues essentially require them to sell them new, which is probably for the best when I thought about it). Also, purchasing one locally in Japan can be very expensive or problematic (many places may not have local inventory available for immediate purchase, limited selection, or like Japan’s amazon website may have sellers from other countries who don’t immediately ship the product when you request and need it).
    Probably the least expensive to fit basic needs may be a collapsible camping/outdoor chair, some are quite portable. If such a thing will work for you and your needs, it may be possible to get one small enough to fit into smaller shower areas you often see in Japanese bathrooms.
    If you have found a hotel/rental with a bigger shower space, then it is possible to buy and bring a bigger collapsible shower chair, my suggestion would be something like the one seen here:
    https://shower-buddy.com/mobility-products/eco-traveller-sb7e/
    I am not paid or affiliated with them and nor have I personally used this chair, but I do use a shower chair from this company that is very much like this (just not collapsible), it is sturdy and works well for my needs. The one I linked above is fairly inexpensive (last I checked) and they offer optional accessories including a travel bag for it (Note: If a US flight, I cannot say for certain that it will fit or have to be checked-in, but this should qualify as a free carry-on because it is your medical equipment). I have seen some other similar products elsewhere but they can get expensive, nevertheless I suggest doing some research before making any decision.

I hope that help,
    -Justin

• Febin

December 25, 2023 at 1:44 pm

@joshgrisdale @schroth-sensei thank you!

I will bring something like a portable shower chair as you shared. That should be very useful for traveling. I wouldn’t have to worry if I’m changing hotels too.

• Josh Grisdale

December 25, 2023 at 3:30 pm

Just to clarify, most hotels do have simple shower chairs available. Just nothing with wheels or that you could use for toileting.

• Febin

December 25, 2023 at 11:52 pm

Okay, understood. Thank you!

Skip to content