Blind College Student Visiting Tokyo

• Blind College Student Visiting Tokyo

Posted by michaelfales on January 23, 2019 at 3:13 am

I am a college instructor bringing a group of 14 students to Japan May 2-15, 2019 to study culture and religion. One of our students is blind. He is interested in how Japan deals or doesn’t deal with disability issues, particularly visual impairment.  We have a free day in Tokyo on May 6. I would love to find someone who is visually impaired or who works in that area to meet with him on that day. Is there someone you could connect me with? Thanks very much for your help and for the important work you do.

Mark replied 4 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

January 23, 2019 at 8:25 am

Hello,

I can certainly look for someone!  Will you have a translator with you?  The only visually impaired people I know only speak Japanese.

• michaelfales

January 24, 2019 at 12:33 am

Unfortunately, he only speaks English. I would be happy to pay someone to translate if there is someone available to do so. I think this would be a very valuable experience for this student. Thanks very much for any assistance you can offer. It would also be valuable for him to establish an email correspondence ahead of our trip so he can ask questions.

• Accessible Japan

January 24, 2019 at 2:45 pm

I’ll look around for some options!

• Accessible Japan

January 24, 2019 at 2:46 pm

@bookman do you have any contacts?

• Mark

January 24, 2019 at 2:57 pm

Yes, I have a few contacts in mind.

Several of my friends in the blind and deafblind communities speak English and may be available on that day. It’d help if I could have some additional information about your itinerary.

• Accessible Japan

January 24, 2019 at 4:39 pm

Hello again,

A friend of a friend works at Google Japan and is likely able to meet your student (he speaks English as well).  If you accept my friend request I will send you their email in a private message.  Maybe you can meet @bookman ‘s friends as well so your student can get a lot of different perspectives.

Best

• nyandi0412

January 25, 2019 at 2:55 am

Hi Michael,

I’m working as tour guide in Tokyo. I can help you as well 🙂 Unfortunately  I’ve never worked with disabilities from overseas. But I’ve grown up with autism brother and token part in volunteering.

Let me know if you’re still looking for someone;)

Best,

Kyoko

• michaelfales

April 23, 2019 at 8:49 am

I am still hoping to find someone who speaks English who could meet with my college student who is visually impaired on May 6 in the Shinjuku area. We are from Michigan in the U.S. My students are studying the religion and culture of Japan. My student, Jeff, is very interested in how people who are visually impaired live and work in Japan. I realize May 6 is a holiday but I am hoping someone would be willing to spend the day or part of the day with him. Any assistance would be appreciated. I am not very tech savy. If possible, please email me directly [email protected] Thanks for your help. Prof. Michael Fales, Olivet College, Olivet, Michigan USA.

• Mark

April 23, 2019 at 9:38 am

I’ll e-mail you directly.

Skip to content