Booking an Accessible Hotel Room

• Booking an Accessible Hotel Room

Posted by jajello on April 19, 2024 at 3:23 pm

Hello! First post on tabifolk and I’ll probably be posting here often until my first trip to Japan happens in March 2025 😄

I started doing research on wheelchair accessible hotel rooms in Tokyo. I am a power wheelchair user and just need a room large enough to accommodate my chair, hoyer lift, and shower chair. I also need a roll-in shower. I noticed that Japan hotels have limited accessible rooms compared to hotels in the U.S. I’m interested in Keio Plaza Hotel, Hoshinoya Tokyo, and MIMARU SUITES Tokyo Asakusa Hotel just because they offer roll-in shower rooms. How soon should I inquire and book a room?

jajello replied 1 week, 4 days ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

April 19, 2024 at 4:00 pm

Hi! Welcome! Looking forward to helping you get ready for your trip.

Of the three Keio Plaza is by far the most accessible. I would start contacting them very early because, as you mentioned, there are not nearly as many as in the US. But you might need to eliminate a few options and it is best to do that early.

You may also want to check out The Royal Park Hotel Tokyo Shiodome:

https://www.accessible-japan.com/hotels/japan/tokyo/minato/high-range/the-royal-park-hotel-tokyo-shiodome/

• jajello

April 20, 2024 at 11:12 am

Thanks, Josh! 🙂 I’ve seen a few of your accessible Japan videos and they’ve always sparked my interest in visiting Japan. Have you encountered issues booking an accessible hotel room? My trips isn’t for another 11-12 months. Would it still be good for me to inquire now?

• Josh Grisdale

April 20, 2024 at 4:10 pm

While you may not be able to book, I’d start contacting places as early as possible just to see if they fit or not. Once you find a place, book it, or find out when you can book it so you can be ready.

As another poster mentioned, there is no down payment so you can book a place that might work and then cancel if you find something better.

• jajello

April 21, 2024 at 7:27 am

Thanks a bunch!

• HImom

April 20, 2024 at 12:33 pm

I would start inquiring now. I used email to contact the hotels asking for Barrier Free room availability with roll-in shower and number of people. When i was searching for my trip last year i started in Feb for Dec, some hotels didn’t have availability already. Others don’t have rates for that far ahead, but ask when you try to inquire again. If you find one, book it, most don’t ask for a downpayment or have lenient cancellations, so you can continue to look around. Hope this helps.

• jajello

April 21, 2024 at 7:17 am

Thanks for the input!

Skip to content