Can I earn money even if I can’t work?

  • Can I earn money even if I can’t work?

    Posted by Zachary Oswald on May 22, 2022 at 7:17 pm

    Hi I have recently been thinking of moving to Japan but I can’t do much which includes working so I was wondering if there was like any government support for people who can not work or something so I can get money to live in Japan


    Nomad Traveler replied 2 weeks, 5 days ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

    May 23, 2022 at 3:56 pm

    Hi Zachary,

    Japan does have subsidies and welfare for this with disabilities. However, to move here you need to have a visa, and (with the exception of visa for family members of someone in Japan) this means you need an employer to sponsor the visa. So, unfortunately unless you have a visa, living here will not be possible. Sorry 😟

  • Zachary Oswald

    May 23, 2022 at 5:18 pm

    Hi Josh thank you for the information. If you don’t mind I’d like to ask what I’d like to ask what if someone I know is going to work for example my girlfriend/wife or just a friend then would it be possible for me to get a visa?


    • Josh Grisdale

      May 23, 2022 at 7:08 pm

      I am quite certain it is limited to family members. You may want to try GaijinPot forums as this site is mostly about travel, but GaijinPot is more general moving to/living in Japan.

  • Nomad Traveler

    June 16, 2022 at 7:50 pm

    Hi Zachary,

    Just to let you know to study and work in Japan, the below websites can provide you all the required information:

    Accessible Japan This Website gives wheelchair users the latest useful information to visit attractive places in major parts of Japan.
    Independent Living in Japan Articles and resources on the IL situation in Japan from the Asia Disability Institute.
    Japanese resources on Independent Living Information Resources for People with Disabilities in Japan.

    Also, for Visas and Permits for Japan there are 27 different categories of residential status are available for the foreigner’s stay in Japan. You need to apply for a visa or a residence permit for visiting students. For details regarding visas consult an embassy or a consulate. A list of overseas Japanese embassy or consular offices (

    Further, to understand the Disability Related Legislation in Japan below is the link which provides you all the information relating to the same (this covers everything you need to know about disability related programs in Japan):

    Hope this helps.

Log in to reply.

Skip to content