Companion card from Australia

• Companion card from Australia

Posted by Kraft on January 19, 2018 at 9:37 am

My Daughter has a companion card in Australia, we would like to know whether it is recognised in Japan on the rail link and other places of interest

Accessible Japan replied 6 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

January 19, 2018 at 9:40 am

Hello!
    Unfortunately, it will not help you with the train. It *should* help with tourist locations… but some places may not be fully recognized.
    More details:
    https://www.accessible-japan.com/japan-disability-discounts/

• Accessible Japan

January 19, 2018 at 9:53 am

@kamil did you have any problems?

• Melanie

January 19, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Hello! From my own experience I can tell you that Tokyo Tower and Tokyo Skytree will give you a discount when showing the companion card/disability ID.

• Accessible Japan

January 19, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Thanks @melanie_lmt

I asked on Facebook as well and it really seems to be at the discretion of the staff member.

One person mentioned:

We have the Victorian companion card and we were going to try to use it for a taxi discount in Tokyo, but the driver just gave it to us without documentation

So, you can bring the card and try to use it, and should still get the discount. But be aware there may be occasions where staff are only trained to accept the Japanese ID and may be hesitant to accept a foreign ID they may not understand.  In that case, you may want to ask for their manager.  If anything, it could be an opportunity to train the staff on different IDs!

• Kamil

January 19, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Hi! We don’t have such cards in Greece, so I can’t help.

But we had discounts when we showed a disability paper.

• Accessible Japan

January 19, 2018 at 5:26 pm

@Kamil, thanks for your help – it looks like Japan  is getting better at accepting foreign papers 🙂

Skip to content