Contemporary Museum and Tokyo Disney

• Contemporary Museum and Tokyo Disney

Posted by coreycatt on March 4, 2019 at 9:36 am

I’m in a _powered_ wheelchair.  I am an artist with a show at the Contemporary Museum (MOT) and I am thinking my best bet is the Hotel East 21.  They say they have airport hotel, hotel Disney shuttles, but I doubt they do power wheelchairs.  What would you recommend?

Also, is Kamakura accessible at all?

-Corey

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • wilgo

March 4, 2019 at 10:34 am

Hi,

What do you mean by “they do power wheelchair”?  Do you need a rental power wheelchair?

Although Wilgo doesn’t have a rental powered wheelchair but a manual one, an affiliated company may have powered one.

It would be a good idea to check the report of Tsurugaoka Hachimangu shrine n Kamakura for your information.  Unfortunately, historical city, Kamakura, is not fully accessible, but it’s worth to look around.

• coreycatt

March 5, 2019 at 12:02 pm

I have my own power wheelchair and it weighs 350lbs.  It doesn’t fold.  There are places and vehicles where you can use a regular folding wheelchair that you cannot bring one like mine.

• Accessible Japan

March 5, 2019 at 10:09 am

Hello,

Since you plan to be going to the Contemporary Museum then it is likely your best option. Here is their accessible room: https://www.hotel-east21.co.jp/en/stay/rooms/barrier-free.php

In general, shuttle buses are not accessible.

Kamakura is great, but there are a lot of places that are not accessible and the hills can be quite steep.  But, it is worth a visit for sure – I love it!  @melanie_lmt visited as well.  If you have questions about a specific spots, create a topic for it and we can look it up for you 🙂

• Accessible Japan

March 5, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Thank you for the clarification.  I use a 130kg (286lb) wheelchair.  The vast majority of train stations have elevators, but some have stair climbers that have a limit of 200kg (440lb), but they are very rare.

Skip to content